What Happens When You Take a Month Off From Blogging

Thursday, March 02, 2017


My brain is hardwired to write things down. Without meaning to, I'm always turning my thoughts into sentences and then restructuring those sentences into a story structure. Since starting to blog four or five years ago, these sentences would usually end up as blog posts. I would see something and think, "That'd make a great post!" or I'd be doing something and already writing the story out in my mind. It's not a bad thing, I don't think. It's just the way a writer's brain works. It also makes blogging feel like less of a chore and more of a fun hobby for me, because my mind is constantly churning out the posts anyway.

When I stopped blogging last month, the blog writing mentality didn't go away. At first, stopping was unintentional as other things cropped up and stole my time away. Eventually, though, it became very intentional and I purposed to not blog at all. Even when my mind would say, "That'd make a great blog post!" or the post was already written in my mind, I avoided signing into Blogger altogether. I stepped away to spend my time on other things and take a breather from the all-encompassing blog world.

I was prepared to store this blog on the shelf and never look back, but the writer in me just couldn't stay away. I needed to spill my words out. I mentioned in this post I wrote in January about starting a fitness journal. As I pulled away from my blog, I started noticing that my fitness journal was becoming less about fitness and more about my everyday life. I was just replacing the platform, but the words were still spilling out.

Over time, my aversion to this blog has gone away and I've found myself itching to type out a post or two. I was burned out, but I'm becoming inspired again. Sometimes stepping away from something you love helps you remember why you love it in the first place.

That's what happens when you take a month off from blogging.

All this to say, I'm back to spilling out the thoughts that have turned themselves into sentences and are itching to be made into posts.

See you around.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe