These Days

Friday, January 06, 2017


It's been awhile since I've clicked the "New Post" button on this blog. Actually, that's a lie. I've clicked over here quite a few times, watched the blinking cursor for a moment, and then just closed the screen.

I wouldn't say that I wasn't ready for reality after the holidays because this first week of the year has been nothing but reality — loads of laundry, daily workouts, and busy work projects kind of reality. But there's been a simplicity to just doing the everyday basics that I've been enjoying.


The dead of winter calls for simplicity, if you ask me. I get that we're in the heat of resolution season and everyone is raring to go with their shiny new goals, but I've learned it's best to start a new year off slow. I've said it before and I'll say it again: January is the worst time of the year to start resolutions. Why do we think that these cold, gray days are a good time to start hopping out of bed earlier, working out harder, and saving all of our monies?! If there was ever a time of the year to sleep in longer, lounge on the couch a bit more, and spend all our hard-earned money on candles and pedicures, this is it. 

That said, I totally made resolutions for 2017 along with the rest of the world. I couldn't help myself. I opened the Note section on my phone sometime back in November to jot down a resolution for the new year and, before I knew it, I had so many resolutions written down that I had to break them up into categories. LOL!


We rang in the new year in Virginia at my parents' home. It was a cozy weekend in front of the fireplace with long games of Catan, Phase10, and Mexican Train. Full-on lazy status. We went out for a fancy dinner in Richmond one night (and I grabbed a dozen Sugar Shack on our way home), but the rest of the weekend was spent at home in socked feet and leggings, eating apple pie and tons of other deliciously bad things. New Year's is the last holiday of winter for quite awhile so, in my mind, that means eat all the things while you still have a reason to!

We had to pull out all the stops on New Year's Eve to keep ourselves awake until midnight, but we made it. How come it's so easy to stay up until midnight on nights when you need to go to bed early, but not on New Year's Eve?! By 11:00, we resorted to squats and lunges to keep ourselves awake. Needless to say, we were nice and warm by the time we stepped outside at midnight! 

Now we're back home and they're actually calling for snow here in Georgia this weekend! I'm skeptical, but a snowed-in weekend does sound lovely. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe