Finding a Morning Routine That Works (Finally!)

Monday, November 07, 2016

morning-routine

About 10 months ago, I published a post about my 2016 intention to get better at mornings. At the time, "get better at mornings" was code for "stop getting out of bed 30 minutes before work." There were a lot of trial runs during the year and figuring out what worked and what didn't, but I'm happy to report I've finally created a morning routine that I not only stick to but actually enjoy. It took me over half the year to do it although that's probably not that unusual. Contrary to my belief on January 1st, routines don't just formulate overnight. 

Here's what my mornings look like these days:

6:00am Alarm goes off and I hit the snooze button. I think it's safe to assume that I'll never be a person who hops out of bed at the first alarm. Since my goal is to be out of bed by 7 am every morning that means starting the process a good hour in advance. I snooze a little bit, procrastinate a little bit more, and then finally roll out of bed by 6:50 or so.

7:00am I usually sleep in my workout clothes, so I only have to slip on my tennis shoes first thing in the morning. Taking decision-making out of the workout process helps my morning brain a lot! I'll fill up my water bottle (ice cold water wakes me up much faster than my alarm clock!) and start working out. I wrote a post not too long ago on my typical workout-from-home routine if you're interested. These days I've been following the BBG workouts by Kayla Itsines through her Sweat app. No matter what, I try to get in a full 30-45 minutes every morning.

7:50am Shower and get dressed for the day.

8:00am Finally, food! I usually have some form of a grab-n-go breakfast on hand, since the idea of cooking just doesn't appeal to me this early in the day. If I really have my act together, I'll heat up some baked oatmeal that I prepped the night before, but a hardboiled egg or Greek yogurt with honey is usually a much more accurate depiction of my breakfasts. 

8:15am This time right here is the golden ticket. It was my whole reason for making a morning routine and the best part about it: 30 quiet minutes to myself every morning. The introvert in me loves having this time and I purposely try not to fill it with mindless scrolling through my phone.

8:50am If I have a few extra minutes before I head to the office, I try to do a rapid 10-minute cleaning spree around the house (loading the dishwasher, taking dirty laundry to the laundry room, things like that). 

9:00am Down the hall to the office! I'm still not tired of this "commute" yet. :) 

I'm happy to finally have a morning routine in place that's not only practical, but also enjoyable! Especially now that Daylight Saving Time has ended and we're headed into the dark, cold mornings of winter. ugh.

Here are just a few of my morning essentials:

         Vanilla Spice tea    /    Cream face cleanser    /    Dry shampoo           

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I might need to steal some of your ideas here... I was doing *so* well with my morning routine until a puppy came into our life, and lately my workouts have been slacking as a result of my mornings being out of whack. Today was a new beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I am horrible at mornings. I tried to get up early but was never consistent at it.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe