How I Workout Without Going to the Gym

Monday, October 03, 2016

workout-at-home

This has been a transformative year as far as working out is concerned. About a year ago, all I was doing for exercise was walking. I absolutely hated anything that involved raising my heart rate, so I pretty much just stuck to racking up steps on my Fitbit. It wasn't until this spring that I started following a full-body exercise routine that involved more than walking. To my surprise, I didn't hate it. In fact, I quickly became obsessed with fitting in a workout every day.

I have a few ideas of what might have flipped the switch for me and turned me into a daily workout person, but the easiest answer is that I saw results. It was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. All of my frustration with exercising was a direct result of inconsistency. Sticking to a consistent routine with a set schedule every day did wonders, both physically and mentally.

Since April, I've been working out at home using a few different online programs. I am not opposed to a gym membership at all and have actually talked about getting one quite a bit, but for the moment these are the programs that have worked for me. I think working out at home is a great option if you're just starting to get into an exercise routine and are not sure if you're ready to commit to a gym membership. That's how I felt back in the spring and, even though I feel like I'm finally ready to commit to a gym now, working out at home is just so easy! There's no travel involved, no time spent waiting to use equipment, and no worries about other people watching you sweat your buns off.

Here's what I've been doing:

Tone It Up — This is the fitness program that got the ball rolling for me this year. My sister introduced me to Tone It Up, a fitness lifestyle brand by Karena Dawn and Katrina Scott, back in April when they were getting ready to start a 30-day summer fitness challenge. I can do almost anything in 30-day increments, so I instantly jumped on board, downloaded the app, and started tracking my progress. Their app has a Daily Workout section where they post a new workout every day, complete with pictures to walk you through each move. They also have several videos on their app, website, and YouTube channel. My favorite thing about this program (and the reason I think I became so hooked) is their weekly workout schedules lay out everything for you at the beginning of each week. It made it seem so much more manageable and less overwhelming. I've just started doing their 31-day October challenge this week.

Fitness Blender — I discovered this husband and wife team on YouTube when I was researching how to do a certain exercise. Their supply of workout videos is endless and there's something for every level. I love pulling up one of their videos on days when I feel like I need to add some extra cardio to my routine...or even on the days when I feel like I just need to stretch longer. They have so many different categories of videos, including no-equipment ones. If you're looking for something specific, chances are you'll find it on their channel. Best of all, it's all free!

IdealFit — IdealFit is actually a women's protein and supplement company (that I have yet to try), but they also offer several different workout challenges through their website. I've done two of them so far: the 15 Day Fit Model Fitness Challenge and the 15 Day Fit Body Challenge. A different trainer teaches each challenge, so they each differ slightly. Each day's workout is dropped in your inbox via email so it is very easy to follow along.

BodyFit By Amy — A lot of at-home workouts require little to no equipment, but if you're like me and have invested in a few things (like kettlebells), then check out this YouTube channel. She has the best kettlebell routines that I've found yet. None of them are very long, but they always leave me feeling sore the next day...in a good way. :)

So, tell me, do you work out better at home or at the gym? If you work out at home, do you make up your own workouts or follow a program? I'd love to hear what works best for you!



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. i love to make up my own workouts sometimes but i has noticed i tend to do better and be more consistent when i follow a program. Right now i am doing simply shredded and kayla itsines on some days. I also love the FitnessBlender. I do some of their workouts here and there to switch things around. I haven't heard of Bodyfit by Amy, will check her out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been so tempted to start Kayla Itsines BBG program, but just haven't bit the bullet. The before & after photos on her IG are mind-blowing!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe