A House Hunt Update

Wednesday, October 12, 2016


I wish this was a "Surprise! We bought a house!" post, but sadly, it's not. Feel free to skip my ramblings below now that you know there's no groundbreaking news to reveal. ;)

The house hunt is still on, although these days it feels a bit more like "house browsing" instead of a full-fledged hunt. I think the word hunt implies a little more urgency than what's going on here. We're still looking regularly. Every day, I browse through listings on my phone hoping there will be something that jumps out. One of the most frustrating things is seeing houses that we passed over last year come back on the market, gorgeously remodeled and out of our price range. I have to remind myself that we passed on those houses for a reason, but it's still hard when I see how beautiful they look after just a year's worth of work. On the other hand, it's also encouraging knowing that whatever diamond-in-the-rough we end up with will hopefully have that same potential.

I'm always having to remind myself that there's no downside to taking our time in this process. Every month we spend looking is another month to save our pennies and not settle for an almost-but-not-quite-right house. Realistically, though, it's also another month to question if this is ever really going to happen.

I'm adding another item to all those "helpful" checklists (insert eye-roll here) that tell you how to find and buy a house (as if it were as simple as tracking down a brand of yogurt in the grocery store...smh). Stay encouraged. House hunting is not an easy process to begin with, but it's even harder when you're being a Debbie Downer. Not that I speak from experience or anything. ;)

We have a few more houses lined up to see in the near future and if the disappointments of the past have taught me anything it's to go look with an open mind and no expectations. But I wouldn't be opposed to you sending a few good thoughts our way!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Good luck!! I know the heartache of searching for a house and I found my dream starter home, only to find out a week before closing from their lawyer: "oh wait, the title isn't clean." so all of the house Pinteresting I had done was out the window.

    silver lining? renovating my boyfriend's fixer upper is pretty exciting with the end results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that sucks! House hunting is truly a cycle of falling in love and then having your heart broken. Luckily, it's just a house and there'll always be more of them....at least that's what I'm telling myself. :) Good luck with your renovation!

      Delete
  2. Finding the perfect house to buy can really be a journey! I went through it last year and I cannot even count how many houses we looked at before putting in an offer on the one we eventually bought. However it is so worth the process. I love our house and I'm sure you will find the perfect one, too!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe