A Georgia Mountain Day Trip

Tuesday, October 04, 2016


Ever since our Yonah Mountain hike a few weekends ago, I've been itching to get back to the mountains. There are so many beautiful hikes in the North Georgia mountains and hardly enough fall weekends to fit them all in. Sadly, by the time the weekend came, we were feeling a little under the weather so we decided to go thrifting instead of hiking. Not quite the same thing, but it meant we could spend the day in the mountains so we were happy. 


On our way to the mountains, we stopped by Jaemor Farms on the hunt for some honeycomb. I recently read up on the benefits of raw honey and was hoping to find some there. Did you know that most of the honey sold in grocery stores doesn't contain bee pollen? That's the stuff that gives honey all its healthy benefits. Turns out, most companies remove the pollen to mass produce honey on the cheap, meaning that 3 out of 4 bottles of honey sold in the United States are considered "fake honey" or honey without any bee pollen. Raw honey, while slightly more expensive, is loaded with all the good stuff (aka bee pollen) and is much better for you. Besides that, I was just also really craving a honeycomb! Does anyone else like to eat honeycomb straight from the jar?

I also picked up some sweet potato butter and pumpkin butter, mostly out of pure curiosity. They both taste fairly similar, probably because of the immense amount of sugar and cinnamon in both. :) They are both so good, though!


Next stop was the Old Clarkesville Mill in Clarkesville, Georgia where I scored a few old records to add to our collection. This antique mall is huge! There was a lot of cool antiques and a lot of weird things too (think man baby dolls and old laptops). You never know what you'll find in the depths of an old antique mall! We had fun browsing for awhile before driving a little further up into the mountains.


Next up was the Georgia Mountain Market in Clayton, Georgia. I had heard rumblings of the enormous record collection there and had to check it out for myself. The rumors didn't lie; it really is huge, although the records cost much more than I'm used to paying. I came across one sealed Elvis record while we were thrifting that cost a whopping $150! 


It was a beautiful day to drive through the mountains and also a good excuse to listen to my fall playlist as we drove. You can find it here. There are just about as many thrift stores and flea markets in the North Georgia hills as there are hikes, so I'm sure we'll be back for a repeat trip very soon!

P.S. You may also like these posts:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oh my word. This post made me so homesick. My mom and I used to go to Jaemor and the Clarkesville Mill as a 'girl's day" thing in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe