August Book Report

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

august-book-report

There's nothing better than walking into the library and seeing a book you've been wanting to read just sitting pretty right there on the shelf. Only true book nerds gets excited about not having to put a book on hold! ;) This happened to me this month with the book Dead Wake and it immediately sent me into constant reading mode. Spending weekends beside the pool helped too.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
I vaguely remembered the Lusitania from history class, but my knowledge basically stopped there. I've loved the other books by Larson that I've read and he didn't disappoint in this one either. Literally, my heart was pounding at some parts as he switches back and forth between characters on the boat and characters in the submarine. What was astonishing to me was how many inconspicuous little things led up to the sinking of this ship: a delay in launching, a telegram that was never received, a split decision by a submarine captain. If just one of those things hadn't happened, thousands of people might not have drowned that day. Larson does an awesome job of pointing each of them out and bringing this glossed-over event in history to light. You literally feel like you're there. I could write way more about it, but just go read it! I highly recommend it.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
This was such an interesting book, even though it was a bit heavy in experiments and studies. Still, the subject matter is really fascinating. Like, did you know that high-reactive babies are more likely to grow up to be introverts while very chill babies are more likely to be extroverts?  Also, I figured out why I love blogging and social media and working remotely so much. Introverts are able to become connectors much easier online than they would in person. We create relationships with people all around the world and then extend those into our everyday life. Here's an interesting insight I jotted down: "The same person who would never raise his hand in a lecture hall of two hundred people might blog to two thousand or two million, without thinking twice. The same person who finds it difficult to introduce himself to strangers might establish a presence online and then extend these relationships into the real world." Shout-out to all the introvert bloggers out there!

Youngblood by Matt Gallagher
I put this novel squarely in the 'okay' category. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The story is about a guy named Jack Porter on his first deployment in Iraq. It kept me interested until the end, but I felt like things that could've been a big moment fell a little flat and there was no real story there. Not much of a recommendation, I know. I'd skip it and read Dead Wake instead.

P.S. You may also be interested in these posts:

Follow

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Dead Wake was such a good book. I always love Erik Larson's books tho. I think Devil in the White City is still my favorite by him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't there a movie in the works based off that book? I haven't read it and am torn between watching the movie (if there is one...did I make that up?) or reading the book first. You're right, Erik Larson is always good!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe