Fourth of July Beach Trip

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

jax-beach

We turned the Fourth of July weekend into an even longer weekend by skipping out of town on Wednesday night last week. It felt so good to wake up at the beach that next morning! I may have been a little excited about being there, because I was awake by 5:30 and bugging Mark to go on a walk with me. Sweet boy rolled out of bed to trek four miles down the beach with me to watch the sunrise, sleepy faces and all. Getting up early is a different story when I have a comfy beach chair to chill in for the rest of the day. :) 

jax-beach

Mark had a blast building sandcastles and playing in the waves with his nephew and cousins while we were there. I think he's always secretly happy when the kids are at the beach because they're much more entertaining than I am with my nose in a book. :) I packed The Help to read this trip even though I've already seen the movie. It's one of my favorite movies and the book is quickly making its way to the top of my favorites as well. When I started, I kept wishing that I hadn't already seen the movie but the book is so good that I keep forgetting that I already know what happens. It's like a deeper look into some of my favorite characters. Highly recommend if you haven't read it already!


We tried our hand at homemade strawberry ice cream a few times and it turned out great! My sister gave Mark & I an ice cream maker years ago and we've just now started using it. I don't know why we waited so long, because it is so much fun and easy to use. We celebrated Mark's mom's birthday with cream cheese pound cake and strawberry ice cream — the perfect combo!

Desmond was a great helper pulling the leaves off the strawberries and smashing them up for the ice cream.


By the time the weekend rolled around, I was in full-blown vacation mode. The only concern of the day was outrunning the thunderstorms that rolled in and out on the beach (we only got caught in a downpour once!) and debating whether or not to have a second helping of ice cream. Life is really rough at the beach! We drove back home on the Fourth of July so it wasn't quite as festive as it could've been, but we still managed to squeeze in the beginning of the fireworks show before calling it a night. 


Hope your Fourth of July holiday was just as relaxing and fun!

Follow

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe