Favorite Albums, Lately

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Stumbling upon a new musician or band that just fits your musical style perfectly is one of the many simple joys in this life. It's like the first bite out of the heart of a watermelon or getting an actual letter in the mail —  the sweet simple moments that make the days happy. I usually have a playlist or radio going while I'm working and my latest thing has been to turn the speakers up really loud in the evenings when I'm marching around the house trying to get more steps in.  Here are a few new-to-me albums that have been on repeat around here lately.


I love the Everly Brothers-esque voices of The Cactus Blossoms. Their forte is singing old country music songs that were popular or unpopular in the pre-1960s and somehow they've brought that sound to 2016. I like how they describe themselves: "We weren't born in the wrong era. We just got into some music from a different era and found a way to make it our own." Although they are on tour right now, there are no scheduled visits to the great state of Georgia and I'm hoping that changes soon. 

For a quick listen, try this song: Stoplight Kisses


These are two completely new-to-me artists that I'm really enjoying. Teddy Thompson and Kelly Jones both have solo careers, but they collaborated on the album Little Windows to produce something Thompson refers to as "a girl/boy Everlys". Obviously, I've got a thing for Everly Brothers style music. :)

For a quick listen, try this song: Never Knew You Loved Me Too


We listened to this new album from The Avett Brothers on the six-hour drive to the beach last weekend and I still can't get enough of it. They always know how to hit it out of the park. My favorite song from the album is Smithsonian and it has been on repeat regularly around here. So so good!  Check out this video of them performing it live — I love that Seth is chomping gum the whole time.

What's a favorite album (new or old) you've been listening to lately?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe