Thoughts On Exercise

Monday, June 06, 2016


"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." I read that on Instagram a few weeks ago and it has stuck with me ever since. I've tried going into the past few weeks of workouts with that mindset. Every time I've attempted to exercise in the past, I would get frustrated that I wasn't seeing immediate results (granted, it's probably only been two days...) and give up. Seeing that quote was a good reminder that results don't come from just going through the motions of a workout.

I promise this is the last time that I whip out some inspirational quote talk here on the blog (lol). I don't follow lots of fitness accounts on Instagram because a lot of time the talk seems cheap and I'm really not one for "rah rah go girl!" talk. But I am really proud of myself for sticking with a consistent routine for the past six weeks.

For the past six weeks, I've been following along with Tone It Up's fitness regime and somewhere around week three, I started really, really enjoying it. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit, so let's hope I'm golden now.

Exercise has never appealed to me before, in any shape or form. I eased into it last year with my Fitbit and would do a few workouts at home every now and then, but nothing serious and certainly not on a regular basis. At the end of last year, I started going to a few local yoga classes and enjoyed that but after the holidays it sorta faded out and I just didn't go back again. Since then, I've done a few YouTube workouts — Yoga with Adriene and Fitness Blender are two channels I really like — but, again, it was hardly ever consistent and I think I've discovered why.

I have never been a big fan of change, especially if it's something I've never done before. When I exercise, I want to know exactly what I'm doing in advance so I don't make a fool out of myself learning the moves as I go. With that mindset, I always end up sticking to the same workout or yoga practice every day. I was forgetting about a little thing called burn-out. By the third day, I would be over it.


With Tone It Up, the exercises are different every day with some repetitiveness from week to week. A schedule comes out every Sunday with specific workouts to do each day. You can pick 2-3 or do all of them if you choose. On top of that, there are five daily workout moves that get posted on their website or app every morning. I always print the schedule out and tack it to the fridge, so I can easily cross off workouts as I do them. The night before, I'll check the app to see what the workout moves are for the next day and usually watch the video/s that accompany them. Seeing what I'm supposed to be doing in advance really helps.

Week one and two were all about crossing workouts off the list. I'm a huge list lover, so having a schedule full of neatly checked boxes each week made me stupidly happy. But somewhere around the end of week two, I realized what a huge waste of time this all would be if I didn't start challenging myself.

I can't say that I'll always stick to Tone It Up, but I do like the general structure of their workouts (especially the "free" and "easy to do at home" parts). Do you have a favorite at-home workout program you like? I wouldn't mind switching it up some once this series is through.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe