Low-Sugar Smoothies for Summer

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

strawberry-smoothie

I love drinking smoothies for breakfast during the summer. I usually work out first thing in the morning and then start work with a freshly-made smoothie in hand. It's the perfect breakfast when you're craving something cold but also filling. My go-to recipe for smoothies has always been incredibly simple: a few pieces of frozen fruit, bananas, splash of juice, and flavored yogurt. My favorite is Chobani's fruit-on-the-bottom Greek yogurt. It always adds the perfect amount of flavor and protein. Unfortunately, it also adds a ton of extra sugar! I couldn't believe it when I compared the sugar count of the fruity yogurt to the sugar count of plain Greek yogurt. Eeek!

So, even though I love my simple recipe, I've been on a mission this week to drop the extra sugar in my smoothies without ruining the flavor. I've switched out the juice for unsweetened almond milk and reserved the fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts for special treats. I've also started packing as much spinach in the blender as I can. Thankfully, I can't taste it over the fruit (lol!) and it's a great way to get some added nutrients.

My smoothie recipe lately looks like this:

1 banana
4-5 frozen strawberries
3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
All the spinach that will fit
Splash of unsweetened almond milk

I've heard that replacing an avocado for the banana is another great way to reduce the sugar intake while keeping the right texture but avocados? In my smoothie? I'm still a little hesitant on that one. What are your favorite smoothie combinations? Share them with me!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've been trying to replace my juice with water to lower the sugar. I also add some hemp or chia seeds for added protein and nutrients. love the spinach idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been curious about chia seeds lately - never tried them. Do they change the texture much?

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe