House Hunting: Painted Brick Exteriors

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

painted brick exterior

Painted brick exteriors are one of my favorite looks on a house. Mark and I both like older brick ranch homes, many of which tend to be fixer uppers, so my imagination is always running wild with the possibilities of paint colors. Brick exteriors can look very classy on their own, but there's something about the painted look that I really love. 

That being said, there's pros and cons to painting an exterior. For one, it's a lot of work and not something that's easily DIY-'d. It also removes brick's natural ability to breathe and expel moisture from the walls, not to mention the maintenance required to keep it from chipping or fading. Finally, there's the tiny issue of its permanence. It's nearly impossible to remove paint from brick after it's been painted, so its definitely not a decision to be made on a whim. But, in light of all of that, I'm still sold on the sleek, updated look a brick exterior can give an older ranch home. I think they look so beautiful!

Here's my inspiration:

sand-painted-brick
gray-painted-brick
cream-painted-brick
gray-painted-brick
image sources: one / two / three / four / five 

Would you ever bite the bullet and paint exterior brick?


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. My husband and I have been looking for a ranch to raise our family, but I never considered getting a brick one. I don't particularly care for the red brick look, and neither of us thought of having it painted. Amazingly, I am inspired by the picture of the gray brick you posted, and now I've got a new outlook on brick.

    Miriam Burke @ HS-RE

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe