How Working From Home Changed My Routines

Thursday, June 16, 2016

work from home

I've learned this past year that working from home is only an advantage if I make it one. I only have longer mornings if I make the choice to get up earlier. I only have time to work out if I make it a priority. And I only have a productive day if I hustle to make it one. All the starry-eyed glories of a work-from-home job only happen when I make them happen. So, even though this post is titled how working from home changed my routine, it's more about how I changed my routine, because no matter what our work schedule looks like, a routine is something we make ourselves.

When I worked in the office, I would leave my house within 30 minutes of rolling out of bed. It may be a talent to get out of the house that fast, but it's certainly not conducive to a relaxing (and alert!) state of mind. Time to actually be productive before work was just a daydream.  I am much more inclined to get up earlier these days and I think it's because I've realized the benefits of taking some time for myself before the day starts.  It's a change that has needed to come for a long time. Mark has always had early mornings but I would just fall back asleep after he left and, for me, falling back asleep in the mornings is the perfect recipe for a bad day. I always fall into my deepest sleep and end up feeling groggy and cranky when my alarm goes off. Learning to wake up when he does has been a big benefit to my mornings. We can make breakfast together and talk — a huge plus when you're going to be working by yourself for the rest of the day. Having this slow time to start the day is really awesome and a change I hope to keep up in the future. I've been amazed how quickly my body got used to waking up before 6:00 am — me, the girl who refused to wake up early if she didn't have to. To all my fellow morning grouches, I know you won't believe me, but it's really not that bad!

I've also started leaving the house more in the mornings. Getting up earlier means there's so much time in the morning, like I can actually go do stuff!  Some mornings my sister and I will meet for a walk and other mornings I'll knock out grocery shopping or minor errands. It creates a mini-commute of sorts — which apparently is good for us work-from-home-rs. When I get back to the house, my mind knows it's work-mode similar to walking into the office in the morning.

A few weeks ago I was complaining about not wanting to workout one morning and Mark gave me his oh-so-practical look and told me "You have the perfect set up to workout every day, so just do it." His straight talk is needed around here. ;) Ever since then, I've made a conscious effort to not complain about my day. It's true I've got a pretty sweet set up at the moment so that means taking advantage of every morning workout, every lunch break spent outside, and every rush hour that I manage to avoid while I can.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe