Reading, Listening, Watching

Monday, April 11, 2016

I haven't had a chance to write a book report lately, so I decided to lump everything into one big post of what I've been reading, listening, and watching lately.

Reading
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee - I've been wanting to read Harper Lee's book for quite some time and was so excited when I saw it sitting pretty on the shelf at the library. One of life's simple joys is finding a library book you've been wanting to read without having to put it on hold first! I loved it. I know people have mixed feelings about it and were disappointed in some of the characters, but I thought it was great. Mostly, though, I just enjoy Harper's style of writing.

Inside the O'Brien's by Lisa Genova - I was a big fan of Lisa Genova's other book Still Alice, but for some reason I had a hard time getting into this read. I think it was because, in a way, it's very similar to Still Alice and I felt like I was reading the same story again. Different characters and different disease but same general concept. Although, I only read the first few chapters, so I'm not really one to judge.

Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford - This was another book that I didn't finish. I've had it on my list to read for quite awhile and I've heard good reviews, but I just couldn't get into it. Have you read it? I'm wondering if I should give it another shot.

City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg - I'm currently working my way through this one and really like it so far. There are a lot of different characters all connected in some way or another and it's fun to see how the story unfolds.


Watching
The Martian - I was really skeptical when we started this movie because I had no idea how they were going to make an interesting movie about a guy who gets stuck in outer space for a year. I mean, how much is there to do up there anyway? It turned out being not at all like I expected and actually got a few laughs. It did freak me out a little though, because the idea of floating away in space is one of my biggest nightmares. I was literally biting my nails in nervousness towards the end of the movie when Matt Damon is shooting through space like Ironman, trying to grab hold of his captain's hand. I think it's nice that some people want to be astronauts, but I'll stay here and be thankful for gravity.

House of Cards - As always, this show never disappoints. Although, I still think Season 1 was the best. I binge-watched it (how else do you watch House of Cards?!) and sat stunned when it ended. The show producers sure know how to end with a cliffhanger.

Lawless - I randomly clicked on this movie to watch on Netflix one night while Mark was working late and then wished I had saved it for a night he was home because he would've loved it. Lots of action between moonshiners and gangsters. It reminded me a little of Boardwalk Empire.

The Changeling - This was another Netflix movie I randomly stumbled upon and ended up really liking it. Angelina Jolie plays her part really well. I would definitely recommend it, but expect to be incredibly frustrated by the patronizing attitude of men in the 1920s.


Listening
NPR One - This is one of the most used on my phone (besides IG and Snapchat). It's public radio on your phone, tailored to the shows and topics you like. My favorite part is that if you're tired of hearing about a certain subject (2016 election, anyone?), you can just hit next and it'll continue on to the next news story. Try it out. It's very easy to use and customize.

Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner - I've got a soft spot for old country duets and Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner's Greatest Hits have been on repeat lately. Side note: These pictures of Dolly through the years are awesome. That hair!

On the Media - This is another podcast that I really like and usually listen to new episodes on the NPR One app. They go into depth on really interesting topics and focus on stories about how the media shapes our world view.

Kris Kristofferson - Again with the old country music, but there's really never a bad time to listen to some Kris Kristofferson.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I also couldn't get through Everybody Rise! Glad it wasn't just me. The plot, if there even was one, was super slow! I tried to push through but after 70ish pages I didn't have much interest in reading more. I'm now reading The Lake House by Kate Morton. Liking it much better so far!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe