January's Book Report

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

the cuckoo's calling review

I've had J.K. Rowling's Cormoran Strike novels on my radar for awhile now and last month seemed like the perfect time to dig into the series. I've only made my way through the first two so far, but I'm really enjoying them.

The first book, The Cuckoo's Calling, held my attention and didn't get bogged down like some mysteries do. It marched right along, piecing bits of the puzzle together, until the ending where it completely threw everything on its head by announcing a murderer no one expected. That seems to be the theme with these books. The second book, The Silkworm, did the same exact thing. By the middle of the book, I had an idea of who the killer might be but it seemed too obvious. True to form, it ended up being the last person I expected.

I'm not a huge mystery genre fan, but when I do read them I like to be shocked or surprised by the ending. It's not a mystery if I can guess what happens after the first chapter, right?  If you're looking for an easy-to-read mystery series this winter, I definitely recommend Rowling's series (she writes them under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith, by the way). The setting of snowy London streets and warm pubs is the perfect backdrop for this time of the year.

I'm hoping to pick up the third book in the series at the library in a few weeks. I lucked out and found The Silkworm sitting pretty in the New Books section a few weeks ago without any holds! Let's see if I can luck out twice. :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I just picked up this book at the library last Friday. I'm slugging my way through a Charles deLint book (I hate not finishing a book) and am anxious to read this next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing these books at Barnes and Nobel, too. I think I might pick them up now!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe