5 Mid-Winter Escapes

Monday, February 08, 2016


As a kid, I was always jealous of the kids with summer birthdays who got to have a pool party to celebrate every year. Now that I'm older, I would gladly forgo the gifts in lieu of a temperature above 65. Warm weather is most definitely the way to this cold-blooded gal's heart! Plus, having a birthday the day before Valentine's Day, makes a mid-winter escape the perfect way to combine celebrations. A birthday present for me + a Valentine for him = win win. Since it's not really in the budget to skip out of the country this winter, I've done a little research to find the warmest places in the U.S. this time of the year. Here are my Top 5 picks!

Miami, Florida



Miami holds the title of the warmest U.S. city in February with average highs of 78 daily. Sounds downright dreamy to me. Plus, it's about the closest thing to the Caribbean with its clear blue water and white sand beaches, but without the expensive out-of-country price tag. We spent a few days in Miami a couple years ago and I've been dying to get back ever since. The bright colors of 1818 Meridian House are calling my name. Check out that sweet courtyard!

Key West, Florida


Key West has all the warm temperatures and sunshine that Miami has to offer, but with a much more laid-back vibe. This is a spot in Florida that I've always wanted to see. It seems like it has such a small island feel to it. Bingeing on Bloodline last winter didn't help either. :) I recently stumbled across the Instagram feed of The Gates Hotel and can't get that dreamy atmosphere out of my mind. 

Death Valley National Park, California



While I would be content to lay under a palm tree all day, Death Valley National Park is definitely more my husband's speed. There are so many sites to see there! I'm really intrigued by the sand dunes (think of all the cool pictures you could take there!), but I know Mark would love the Furnace Creek area. There would be no lack of adventure in this place.

St. Simons Island, Georgia



St. Simons Island is just a five hour drive from Athens with lots of history, seafood, and Spanish moss. I can already picture a day of lazy mornings on the beach and afternoons exploring some historic sites. It is known for its year-round warm weather and beautiful views via kayak.

New Orleans, Louisiana



It's not quite as warm as the beach, but with average February temperatures in the 60's, it's still a great city to explore during the winter. I think my sister and I have talked about a trip to New Orleans almost every year and we've still yet to make it happen. One of these days!

Bonus: The Amalfi Coast, Italy



If money were not a concern and I could travel anywhere, you would find me traipsing around the Amalfi Coast this time of year, staying at this hotel, and eating in cliffside cafes. A girl can dream, right?

Where's your dream mid-winter escape?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe