Yarn, Yarn, Everywhere!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

hey-whitney-blog-weaving

Yarn has descended upon our house, filling baskets, littering the floor, and slowly working its way into numerous projects. After learning to crochet awhile back, I have been having a full-on love affair with yarn projects, especially during these winter days when the cozy factor is up to 100 inside. Working with yarn is such an incredibly relaxing past time. Plus I love that I can plop down with a show on Netflix and get up later actually having produced something!

hey-whitney-blog-weaving
hey-whitney-blog-weaving

I started this weaving a few weeks ago with the intention of creating something that could hang on the wall over our bed. Mark helped me build the loom and set it up (looping all of those warp threads can get tiresome!) and I was quickly on my way. Honestly, the hardest part for me was figuring out my design, but once I sketched out a general idea of what I wanted it was much easier to whip through. I spent a few hours working on it every night and it shaped up much quicker than I thought it would. Working with a chunkier yarn really makes it go faster. I'm hoping to make a smaller one soon and figure out how to keep my edges tight and consistent. I loved the texture that the chunky yarn gave this piece, but it was hard to keep the tension right on it once I took it off the loom. I think it was because I wanted those sections to look very fluffy and didn't tighten them up as much as I should have. Live and learn, right? Despite all of my mistakes, I am very happy with how it turned out and I really love the extra polish that the brass pipe adds to it as well. It will look even better when I remove the half-ripped price tag from it. (face palm)

weaving-hey-whitney-blog

Have you caught the weaving fever yet? Woven wall hangings seem to really be having a moment right now and my mid-century loving heart is all for them.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so tempted by weaving but I may stick to knitting! I don't need more hobbies! this looks so fantastic-- great job!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe