New Year Intentions

Monday, January 04, 2016

cup-of-tea

Did you have a good New Year's weekend? We spent the majority of ours at home, playing games, learning to weave, crocheting blankets, coloring, and watching this Netflix documentary. It was incredibly low-key and cozy, perfect for the first really cold weekend of the year. Now it's back to the regular old work-week, but there's still something fresh and exciting about a new year. It's like opening the cover of a new notebook and seeing those clean, crisp, lined pages just waiting for you to fill them up. It makes the list lover and organizer inside of me really happy. I love the idea of starting something new on January 1 and then getting progressively better at it as the year goes on. That's not to say that the only time we can start something new is at the beginning of a new year but, to paraphrase Julie Andrews, the beginning is a very good place to start.

One of my biggest intentions this year is to enjoy my mornings. I have never categorized myself as a morning person and, given the choice of getting up or sleeping in, the choice has almost always been sleeping in. It wasn't until I started working from home that I realized it's not the actual morning that I dislike. It's the rush of mornings and the lack of time and the pretending to be awake and chatty when really I just rolled out of bed.

Taking a commute out of my morning routine did wonders for slowing my morning down this past year. For the first time ever, I found myself up and out of bed by choice to watch the sun peek out above the trees. I found out that I actually enjoyed spending quiet time by myself in the morning, slowly waking up with my breakfast in my own house, rather than grabbing a granola bar to eat in front of my too-bright computer screen. I discovered that I am way more productive first thing in the morning and actually enjoy working in the morning, rather than pushing things off until the afternoon. You'd think that knowing these things would make it much easier to get my butt out of bed in the mornings, but nope. I'm hoping this year will be all about implementing those things that I know work well for me and turning that time into a more enjoyable, productive time of the day.

I read recently that if you want to have a better morning routine then you need to plan your morning backwards. Start with the time that you have to be out the door (or, in my case, in front of my computer) and work your way back from there, allotting enough time for everything you hope to accomplish in the mornings. I was afraid I would land at a wake-up time of 4:00 am, but surprisingly it takes less time than I thought to have an intentionally productive morning.

There are a few other things that I want to work at this year: the cliched resolution of exercising more, eating healthier, getting better at yoga, spending more time with books and less with my phone,  and trying harder to get my 10,000 steps in every day. I think in one way or another all of those goals fall under the umbrella of getting better at my mornings.

I'm hoping to get better at setting myself up to have better mornings by prepping breakfast the night before (I really want to try these freezer breakfast burritos), laying out (or even sleeping in) my workout clothes, and trying warm lemon water in the mornings. Supposedly it's really good for you. The idea here is not to cram as much as I can into my mornings, but to be more productive with the time I have. I hope to share some progress with you as I go along.

Happy New Year!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love, love, love this. We might be almost the same person. The whole idea of enjoying my morning was the entire premise of my little project that I started this morning, and I did the exact same as you - I planned on being out of the house by 6:30, so I woke up at 5 and I was able to accomplish so much before getting out the door to work out. I'm definitely a morning person, once I can actually make it out of bed... which is half the battle in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think you are right! Maybe since our goals are so similar we'll be able to help hold one another accountable this year.

      Delete
  2. I love this post! How was that documentary? It looks fascinating! Mark and I recently watched Into the Mind, a documentary about skiing.... which sounds rather boring but it was actually one of the loveliest films I've ever seen. Mark and I just sorta stared at the screen in a daze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out! On one hand, Making a Murderer was really good (I love a good conspiracy theory!), but on the other hand watching a movie about people getting wrongfully/rightfully convicted and spending their lives in prison isn't very uplifting. Still good, but definitely not cheery.

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe