What Exactly Does a Journalist Do?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

This post is part of a career series that I have been hosting on the blog for a few months now. I've asked a few talented ladies in different industries to share the nitty gritty on what exactly their jobs entail. Instead of tossing around vague industry titles, they're giving us a behind-the-scenes look at what it really means to work in their field. Today, I'm excited to have Molly Kirby of the blog The Book of Molly share her story. 

molly-kirby-interview

I have always wanted to be a journalist.

When I was seven I told my dad and my aunt that one day I would work at the Toronto Star newspaper and ever since then I've been working towards that dream.

I'm not sure what I expected a journalist to do, but after watching Rory Gilmore achieve the dream of being a journalist on Gilmore Girls, I knew I would get there one day too. I knew my name would eventually be followed with the title "journalist".

I completed a two-year program in Nova Scotia, Canada for Radio and Television Arts. I majored in Broadcast Journalism. After a couple of internships I made my way to Thompson, Manitoba. It's in Northern Canada, where it snows for eight months of the year and gets to -50. I worked as a morning news reporter on the local radio for six months. After that I moved to the local newspaper The Thompson Citizen, and worked there for a year.

molly-kirby-interview


Eventually I made my way to Kelowna, British Columbia, where I am now. I work as a journalist for an online news source in the city.

I've always thought journalism to be a well respected profession, but a lot of people don't understand the work that goes into being a journalist.

Where I work we write local, regional, provincial, national, and even international news. We also source our news, so I'm always on social media trying to find news. I can write up to ten articles a day, which is a lot! In Thompson when I worked at the newspaper, I would normally write about 15 stories a week.

On top of writing articles I go to events, cover city council, as well as court trials. I especially love city council because it lets me know first hand what is going on in the city I'm living in. I've learned how cities are actually run. I understand city budgets, and I get to share all that information with my readers.

I am also always picking up the phone to do interview and constantly am sending emails. Writing the article really is only the first step in my job. After I finish writing my piece I have to edit it, take and edit photos, publish on our website, and then publish it to social media. Being a journalist is not a 9-5pm job. I am always checking social media to see what is going on in the world. You don't stop being a journalist when you walk out of the office for the evening.

It takes a lot of dedication to be a journalist. It is a busy and a stressful job, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I love knowing everything that is going on in the world and being able to speak about it to others. I share the news with readers and at the end of the day I am helping inform people.

Writing is such a powerful career choice. It may not be the career that makes the most money, but the passion I have for it makes up for the finances. After I write a good article, the feeling I feel once I hit the publish button is like no other.

One thing I have learned about being a journalist is that I have a proper love for the news and the world around me. I've grown to care about what is happening to people and how I can do my part to make the world a better place. There's so many negative things and events that take over the news and they're so hard to write about. I love finding the good positive human interest stories to share. Those are my favorite because it helps give some hope to people that the world is still an amazing place, even if there are some bad things happening.

Connect with Molly:

You can read other Career Series posts here:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe