This Week's Notes 12.5.15

Saturday, December 05, 2015

yellow-leaf

Five things that made me happy this week:
  • Pizza dinners. We stopped buying frozen pizzas for a long time because of our janky stove in the Richmond rental. It never could cook them right and, eventually, I just forgot about them...until this week! They're not the most healthiest thing to eat for dinner, but oh my goodness they make it so easy. 
  • Five-minute pick-ups. I read somewhere once that you should keep your house in such a state that you only need 10 minutes or less to clean up before guests come over. 
  • A short week. This week played tricks on me and Friday seemed to come out of nowhere. I'll take it!
  • New sunglasses and, finally, a sunny day to wear them.
  • A bag full of new yarn (that I got on clearance no less!)
I love these alternative gift ideas (none of which you have to go to the mall to buy).

'Tis the season for pie. How cool would it be to get one of these at your door?

Choose To Be Grateful. It Will Make You Happier.
At the time, I believed one should be grateful in order to give thanks. To do anything else seemed somehow dishonest or fake — a kind of bourgeois, saccharine insincerity that one should reject. It's best to be emotionally authentic, right? Wrong. Building the best life does not require fealty to feelings in the name of authenticity, but rather rebelling against negative impulses and acting right even when we don't feel like it. In a nutshell, acting grateful can actually make you grateful.

23 gifts you should buy for yourself this year (underwear!)

I was disappointed in my last attempt at chocolate pie, but this recipe makes me want to give it another try, especially that Oreo crumb crust!

How to love living anywhere.

The Myth of Easy Cooking
Food editors are, for the record, acutely aware that their (mostly female) readers want sophisticated meals but feel that the complex recipes offered by chefs are incompatible with their harried lifestyles. So, they make efforts to simplify and streamline, without ever admitting the one thing that cooks really need to hear: that real "easy" cooking, if that's what you're after, is far too simple to sustain a magazine and cookbook industry. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe