This Week's Notes 12.11.15

Friday, December 11, 2015


Five things that made me happy this week:
  • Listening to the new Serial. I can't wait to hear more!
  • Wearing Birks in December. Completely unheard of for this cold-blooded gal.
  • Working from a bookstore. Normally I work from my home office, but it was a fun change to get out of the house this week. 
  • Finishing up the last of Christmas shopping. 
  • Waking up and realizing it's finally Friday.
Leaders in art, business, science, and fashion share the best gift they've ever received.

My flight home next week isn't a long one, but I'm going to try some of these tips anyway: How to Get Comfy on a Long Flight

Speaking of...have you guys ever tried a facial spray?

I mentioned this up above, but it bears repeating: Serial is back!

Don't know what I'd do without my trusty dry shampoo.

Check out this awesome DIY chunky arm knit blanket kit. How cool is that!

Ending Text Messages With Periods Can Make Them Seem Insincere
Texting is lacking many of the social cues used in actual face-to-face conversations. When speaking, people easily convey social and emotional information with eye gaze, facial expressions, tone of voice, pauses, and so on. People obviously can't use these mechanisms when they are texting. Thus, it makes sense that texters rely on what they have available to them - emoticons, deliberate misspellings that mimic speech sounds and, according to our data, punctuation. 

This is a particularly tough one for me. I try hard to keep my exclamation use at bay (years of journalism school beat it into me), but after having someone tell me that I sounded less than excited in my texts, I feel like such a Debbie Downer if I don't use exclamation points. The struggle is real.

26 things you should do at least once a year.

A helpful guide to being up-to-date with what the kids are saying these days. I didn't know half of these.

In case you missed it, here are a few posts from the blog this week:

A gift guide of pretty things to wear. See the whole series here.

Noemi, a fitness instructor, shared the details behind her day job. See more career series posts here.

And, last but not least, I shared a few photos from Athen's Indie South Holiday Market last weekend.

Thanks for reading along. Have a great weekend!

Follow

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I had a "little old married lady" moment at Bath and Body Works of all places. A young storeclerk was trying to get me to buy some lotion but he kept using expressions and slang that made utterly no sense to me. Finally I just had to laugh and tell him that my slang was outdated by about four years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been super warm this year where I'm from, as well. I am so grateful for the chance to extend my Birk wearing :) but at the same time I want Christmas weather... where's the snow?? haha.

    XO, blog.danyellbailey.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe