November Book Report

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

station-eleven-book

It's been awhile since I've shared a book report on here so let's get back to it, shall we? I became a full blown citizen of Athens last month by getting a library card!! Forget other stuff, like updating my license, library cards are where it's at. Plus the library is so much nicer to visit than the DMV. Here are a few books I checked out last month.

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
I had heard a lot of good things about this book and I was curious since most reviews said it wasn't your typical post-Apocalyptic story. Turns out, I actually enjoy the typical post-Apocalyptic story. I kept waiting for the fighting, nail-biting, and harrowing survival tales to happen, but there was very little of that. I thought the way the characters were all somehow connected made it interesting, but overall I became a little bored with it.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knolls
This was another one that I had heard great things about, namely that Reese Witherspoon is making a movie out of it. Given her taste with taking on Wild, I was excited to give this one a try. I wasn't a fan. To me, the main character was a less than ideal role model. She spends her childhood trying to get in with the popular kids only to be rejected by them, so she spends her adulthood trying to get in with an even more popular crowd in order to stick it to the kids from her childhood. There are some dark parts to the story - mainly a school shooting that defines her high school career - but, for the most part, I thought it was rather shallow with the characters leaving a lot to be desired. The ending only slightly made up for my feelings throughout the book.

The Rocks by Peter Nichols
This was the saving grace of November's reads. It was even worth paying the $0.40 late fine so I could finish reading it before returning it to the next person in queue. The story is basically told in reverse which I thought was an interesting concept. Every few chapters, the story rewinds back another couple of decades. It's like unwinding a mystery through time. I loved the characters and the scenery. You know how your mind will create an image of what the setting looks like in a book? I loved the picture in my mind of this picturesque island off the coast of Spain. My father-in-law told me later that his great-grandmother is actually from that island! How cool is that?! Now I think I need to plan a trip to Mallorca, because family history and all that.


Check out my other book reports here


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've been needing some book recommendations! I'd heard good things about The Rocks so now I kinda have to get it. I just started The Star Side of Bird Hill by Naomi Jackson. It's really captured my interest so far!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe