What Exactly Does a Jewelry Stylist Do?

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

This is the fourth installment in the career series that answers the question "What exactly do you do?". Instead of tossing around vague industry titles, we're diving into the day-to-day activities of a few talented ladies in different industries and getting the nitty gritty on what exactly it is they do all day. Today, I'm excited to turn the blog over to Bri Towne who writes Life by Bri blog. In between blogging, mothering, and coordinating a major move, Bri also works as a stylist for Stella & Dot. Thank you for sharing your story, Bri!


life-by-bri

When Whitney asked me to write an article about what I do, I was a little taken aback. I mean, I 'do' a lot and my main job currently is something that is kind of part time, kind of full time, and kind of really different from other 'regular' jobs.

I am an Independent Stylist with Stella & Dot. I guess when most people hear that they think 'oh, great, another sales lady'. But I don't think of myself as that at all. In fact, I hate the thought of 'selling'. I definitely didn't start this business to sell accessories and I definitely don't approach every day with the goal of selling something. But that's the beauty of the amazing company I work for. At it's core, it's not about selling, it's about giving women confidence. Whether it's by wearing a pretty new necklace or hosting a fun girl's night or even starting her own business; it's my goal every day to empower one woman to feel great about herself.

stella-and-dot

Finding My People. I do this by hitting up the places where my ideal customers and future teammates hang out. Usually this is Facebook. It's really important for me to think clearly about where this person is spending their time and how they want to be contacted. If they prefer text to email or Facebook Messenger above all else. Figuring this out really helps me get comfortable and increases my changes of getting a response. Once I find where they're hanging out, I make the approach and offer an amazing personal styling session or a new dream job. Everyone is looking for something, it's just a matter of timing and the wording of the ask. It's scary and honestly, I hear a ton of 'nos' every day, but it just makes the "YES" that much better.

Motivation. I spend a lot of my time motivating people. Motivating customers, hostesses, trunk show guests. But mostly, I motivate my team. I have a handful of amazing stylists who have joined my team that I have trained and lead through this business. Some have been with me for nearly a year and some just signed up this month. But no matter how long they've been a part of Stella & Dot, I give them as much motivation and support as they need. Newer girls get a little more attention; mostly answering questions and telling them that they're doing a great job, but everyone gets a call or message from me at least once a week. I'm the kind of leader who is pretty hands on so I want my teammates to feel like they're totally supported by me as their sponsor. It's really important for me to be really involved in their business because I truly want them to succeed!

stella-and-dot2

Promotion. A lot of my time is spent on email and social media doing promotion. One-on-one outreach is usually the best way to grow my business but mass promotion does yield different and interesting results. For example, when I post something to Facebook, the next day I follow up with every single person who 'liked' or commented on the post. It usually results in a sale or booking a show or even a new teammate just because I took the time to reach out. The power of the follow-up is not lost on me. I will follow up with someone 8 times before getting a positive response, but studies show that 85% of people respond after the 8th contact so I don't give up! It may sound extreme, but it's effective.

The Trunk Show. My absolute favorite part of this business is the Trunk Show. It varies month to month the number of shows I have, but it's the bread and butter of my business and definitely the most fun part! The prep starts weeks before when I book the show, coach the hostess, and send invitations. Then I prep myself by cleaning up my jewelry samples and getting my paper products together (look books, hostess brochures, and stylist opportunity guides). A trunk show is generally two hours long and involves lots of girl talk, trying on my jewelry samples and drinking wine. Or mimosas if it's a brunch show. Yes, my work revolves around booze and jewelry. Not too shabby, huh? Once everyone is done trying everything on and we've killed the last bottle of wine, I whip out my iPad and take orders. By this point, I'm still not selling anything because the jewelry has already sold itself. The quality and price and versatility of each piece are hard to ignore and is hard to pass up. So I just swipe some credit cards and go! Then I tally up all the hostess credits for my hostess and she shops for free which is the most fun!

stella-and-dot3

I leave every Trunk Show with a few new friends, a few hundred dollars, and a ton of happy ladies. And that's really what it's all about: making people happy! I might even add a new team member because when trunk show guests or hostesses see me doing my thing up there they start to think ' hey I could do that!' and I'm like 'uhh yes you can and yes you should!' Who wouldn't want to put in part-time effort and get full-time income? That's a no-brainer, right?

So I guess that's it! The basics of what I do as a Stylist with Stella & Dot. It's pretty simple, super fun, and totally rewarding. Not only do I get paid in cash, but I also earn product credit along the way and business credits too for new lookbooks, etc. Every season we come out with a new collection of accessories and it just keeps getting better and better. I absolutely love what I do and I'm so happy to have taken a chance on it a year ago. In addition to padding my bank account, this opportunity has really made me a more confidence, comfortable and happy woman and for that I couldn't be more thankful.

If you have any questions about my awesome job feel free to email me at hello@lifebybri.com and I'd love to chat with you!

Connect with Bri:

You can read more posts in this series here:

Follow

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me! It was fun to really dive in there and lay out what I do!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe