A Labor Day Hike

Thursday, September 10, 2015


We hiked Stone Mountain in between rain storms on Labor Day. The granite was slippery and the air was thick with humidity, but the view was worth it. Isn't that what you're supposed to say about a hike? It basically sucked, but the view was worth it? The good news is that this hike really didn't suck. The guys trotted up the mountain ahead of us and we girls took our time — mainly because we were talking so much and it's kinda hard to hike a mountain and talk. But you know, where there's a will there's a way. 

I was super proud of myself for not sounding like a dying animal as I hiked. I'm usually the person wheezing "Can't.Breatheeee!" as I walk. This may have had something to do with the number of breaks we took as we were walking, but I'm choosing to attribute it to my daily walks and piyo exercise. I wouldn't mind heading to the top again within the next few months to test my mettle one more time. It's a good way to judge progress. Although, I don't think I'll ever be prepared to run up it with a tire tied to my back like one man was doing. I gave him some major side-eye and worried for his mental health. Noooo thank you.

Can you see Atlanta in the distance? 

They weren't lying, either.


We found the perfect place to sit and catch our breath once we made it to the top. It looks like you're walking on the moon once you get up there with all the dips and holes in the granite but, believe it or not, there are actually a few trees growing up there! They're more like shrubs than trees, but they offered shade and that's all that mattered. We sat up there talking for so long that we started to get cold as another storm blew in. Luckily, we made it back to the car right as the bottom let out of the clouds. These last few weekends of summer have filled up so incredibly fast and we've basically got something going on until November, but I'm really glad for the calm moments that are squeezed into a packed calendar — moments like chilling on top of a mountain with some really special friends and talking about everything under the sun. It does a soul good. 


We got word the very next morning that my grandmother was not doing good and she ended up passing away yesterday morning. We're headed to Virginia for the funeral this weekend and to be with family. It makes me even more thankful for moments that allow us to slow down and remember what's most important in life. Thankful that we don't have to let busyness drown out our peace.
Hope you have a restful weekend.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Will keep ya'll in our thoughts! Also, this post made me homesick. I used to go to Stone Mountain as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe