Over the Weekend / Brunch & Bookstores

Wednesday, August 05, 2015


Can you guys believe it's already August? I'm sure I've said that at the beginning of every August ever, but it always surprises me when it suddenly shows up. We spent the first day of August sleeping in (because Saturday) and then venturing out for a combination of breakfast (me) and lunch (Mark). I think someone came up with a word for that combination... ;) 

We tried Big City Bread and got there right as they were wrapping up their breakfast menu. Can I just say that I love it when restaurants extend their breakfast menus to noon. If you're not going to serve breakfast all day on the weekends, you should at least serve it until noon. I hate showing up in the mood for french toast and having to go with french fries instead. (#firstworldproblems) Luckily, the staff here was sweet and let me grab one of the last orders of french toast for the day. Mark is the kind of guy who doesn't care about eating his meals in order and went with a BLT from the lunch menu. He also tried a slice of banana bread from their bakery and, although I was never able to sneak a bite, he promised me that it was delicious. 


393 N Finley Street
Athens, GA 30601


We walked our meals off by meandering a few blocks away to the bookstore. Large stacks of Go Set a Watchman were on display in front and it resumed that whole debate for me on whether or not to read the book. At this point, I feel like I can't not read it. Is anyone else conflicted about this? 

For those that don't know (or live under rocks), Go Set a Watchman is a novel by Harper Lee, the famed To Kill a Mockingbird author that we all knew and loved from high school. Go Set a Watchman is actually the first draft of to To Kill a Mockingbird but was initially rejected by publishers. So Harper Lee wrote her famous novel featuring young Scout Finch instead. Decades later, the manuscript to Go Set a Watchman was found among Harper Lee's things and sent to publication by her lawyer. There has since been a lot of controversy over whether or not Lee, who has said numerous times that she would never publish another book and is currently not of sound mind, actually approved the novel for publication. Drama, drama. 

493 Prince Avenue
Athens, GA 30601

The rest of the weekend was spent reading as much as possible (still using Oyster & still loving it), sneaking in not one but two naps, browsing thrift stores, and watching the new season of Hell on Wheels. I'm all about these slow summer weekends and could really go for another one right about now. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe