If This Isn't Nice...

Thursday, August 06, 2015


Aren't these long summer days just the best? Earlier this week, I was sitting on our porch as the sun set, feeling all heart-eyed-emoji about summer and thinking how this is the one time of the year we get to sit on our porches nightly and soak up the sunsets. Speaking of, what is it with sunsets in Georgia? They have been insanely beautiful lately. Maybe I wasn't paying attention when we lived in Richmond or maybe the Georgia sky is more of a show-off. Either way, I'm thoroughly enjoying these summer evenings. Chilly nights and shorter days will be here in a flash and these long days that stretch seemingly forever will be over. There's something so special about these days. Someone recently referred to them as the height of summer and I'm inclined to agree. It's as if summer pulls out all the stops in its last month. And maybe that's why it makes me so sad when I hear people wishing for sweater weather and fall leaves. Those days are coming. There's nothing we can do to stop it, but these days right here. They're amazing. They start early and end late. The sky is still pale blue and streaked with pink at 9:00 at night. The cicadas chirp all day, the frogs sing all night. There's fresh tomatoes and sweet-smelling cantaloupe at the farm stand on the corner. Heat shimmers off of pavement and creates lightning shows at night. It's a special kind of perfection that I would gladly take all year round, but I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much if that were so.

"And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"
— Kurt Vonnegut


These photos were taken at my parents' farm
in Virginia right before we moved. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I so wholeheartedly agree! I've felt the same way lately. As much as I adore Maryland autumn, I know that Maryland winter follows it. Yikes! So I've been basking in these sweltering days! Will we see ya'll at Downings or Pulaski?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully both! We're planning on all of Downings and the weekend of Pulaski. See you then!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe