5 Podcasts That Make Doing The Dishes Bearable

Tuesday, August 25, 2015


I was hesitant to write this post for awhile because it seemed a little unnecessary. In the past few years, there has been a complete inundation of posts about podcasts. I chalk this up mostly to the explosion of podcast popularity after Serial came out. A quick Google search will show you lists upon lists of the best podcasts to listen to on the weekend, while driving, while cooking, while at the beach, while working; podcasts to help you with writing, marketing, creativity, blogging, and cooking. So why add to the noise with yet another list?

Here's my reason: Podcasts are becoming (if they haven't already) a popular format for us to devour content. They're like books and everyone likes a good book list — even if they've already read some of the ones on it. It just feels good to nod your head along with others, acknowledging that yes, I really like that or ooh, I'll have to check that out. 

For the past few years, I've listened to podcasts on and off. Sometimes while I'm walking, sometimes while I'm driving, but I've realized the best time to listen is while I'm doing dishes. I'm able to get something done that I hate doing without actually thinking about what I'm doing. It's like having someone talk to me the whole time and make those darn dirty dishes a little more bearable. Here are a few of my favorites. I would love it if you left some of your favorites in the comments or, if you've written a similar post, leave a link for me to check out.

Dear Sugar
I just started listening this podcast, although I don't know why I waited so long. After reading Cheryl Strayed's Tiny Beautiful Things, I should've known the podcast would be wonderful as well. I went back and forth between wanting to take notes on what Cheryl Strayed was saying and wanting to shazam the songs they play during each episode. It's a good one!

This American Life
This is the beast of podcasts and one that everyone has probably already heard about. My favorite thing about it is that you don't have to go in order. Each episode is a compilation of different stories that usually revolve around a certain theme.

StartUp
If you like hearing people's business stories, this one is for you. Although if someone asked me "Are you looking for a podcast about other people's business stories?" I would probably say no. So never mind. This podcast follows Alex Blumberg (who used to work for This American Life) as he goes about trying to start up a small business. From talking to investors to choosing a company name, it's all about getting a business off the ground.

Stuff You Should Know
This is the podcast you listen to so you can whip out your fancy knowledge and impress every one at the table. Which, in my case, is usually just my husband who gives me weird looks when I start talking about the electoral college.

Elise Gets Crafty
I've been reading Elise's blog for some time now, so when she started her own podcast it made sense to listen to it as well. I think the reason I like it so much is because she wrote about wanting to start a podcast, researched how to do it, and then did it. It was neat to see someone take an idea and then turn it into a successful thing that other people enjoy.

Any other podcasts you think I should check out? I've heard Radio Lab is also a good one, but haven't had a moment to listen to it yet. Send me your suggestions!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe