Documenting Our Stories on Instagram

Tuesday, May 19, 2015


Do you remember when you joined Instagram? I was on my honeymoon in NYC and, since I didn't have a smartphone yet, decided to steal my husband's phone to use Instagram. I set up my own account and obsessively stalked the photos from our wedding that guests had shared. I carried his phone around that whole trip, documenting moments on the app. By the time we got home from our trip, I was hopelessly hooked. Eight months later, I got my own iPhone and the gramming began in earnest. I think it's kind of neat that my Instagram documentation started at the same time that our married life began. It's cool to see our story unfolding on the app, even it is in selectively filtered and cropped squares.

Printing my Instagrams is just another way to hold on to those moments in our story. They may not tell the whole story to someone looking on, but I love the memories behind each shot. For example, my very first post on Instagram was of a pizza that we ordered while on our honeymoon. It had been a raining that evening and we didn't feel like going out, so we ordered a pizza from Stella's and binged on Storage Wars instead. I love that memory. To anyone else, it's just a picture of a pizza box. But to me it's a memory of a rainy New York night, chilling in The Standard Hotel with my new husband.

There are a lot of vendors out there that will print your Instagram photos, but for book format I love Chatbooks, mostly because it is so incredibly easy. I use their Instagram subscription series which costs $6 for 60-pages. I love that I don't have to think about it. They send an email to notify me before the book is printed, so I have time to change the cover photo, take out any grams I don't want printed, and edit captions. Chatbooks remembers my settings (for example, I don't like to have the Instagram captions and hashtags printed), so usually I don't have anything to do but wait for my book to arrive. In a technology world where we are so incredibly bad at printing pictures, I'm all about a company that makes it easy for us!

Each image in the book is printed on its own page with a clean white background. I leave the captions off, because I have this one-day goal of going back and handwriting those weird memories-behind-the-photos on the pages. I think it would be a special thing to look back on one day.

The first few photos on my Instagram account. You can find me @whit_torres.


P.S. Recently I saw someone share on their page that they have their Chatbooks set up to be sent to their grandparents every 60 photos. That way the grandparents (who don't have Instagram) are surprised with a book full of grandkid photos every now and then. Such a cool idea, right? It wouldn't really work for me at the moment, but I thought I would share it in case anyone else might be interested.

P.P.S. This isn't a sponsored post and I wasn't paid by Chatbooks to say these things. I just really like their product!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thank you for the reminder that I really, really need to just order one- they look so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love them! I think they're having a Father's Day sale soon, so you might be able to get your first one free!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe