Art In The Park & Kettle Corn

Tuesday, May 05, 2015


Thank you for all of your sweet comments yesterday about the new blog design. Fresh starts are always fun and May seems to be full of them so far. We kicked off Monday with another whole30/paleo/clean-eating diet (whatever you want to call it) and I have also started tracking my steps with the Health app on my iPhone. I had no idea the recommended 10,000 steps/day could be so hard to reach, but I'm having fun trying! May is shaping up to be a really good month (even without the donuts).

This past weekend was the kind of weekend that makes you fall into bed Sunday night with a smile on your face and not completely dreading Monday.... aka the good kind of weekend. On Saturday, we walked in the National MS Society's Richmond walk to support a special friend. It meant getting up early on a Saturday which is something I don't do if I can help it. At the end of the day, though, I was marveling to Mark about all the things you can actually do in a Saturday if you get up early! So who knows...I may have started a new habit this weekend.

The weather was just too good to stay inside, so after the walk (and after mowing the grass and then laying in it to soak up sun) we stopped by Art in the Park. It was hosted at the Carillon in Byrd Park. It's a landmark for Richmonders but if you're not from here, you might be wondering what the heck a carillon is. I know I was when we first moved here. Basically, it is a large tower that hosts fifty-three bells that are played on special occasions by an official town Carilloneur. It's all very professional, you know. The tower was originally built as a war memorial for the men who fought in World War I and is in the center of the beautiful Byrd Park.

There was lots of original art, pottery, homemade furniture, and crafts on display, but the best part (in my humble opinion) was the delicious kettle corn! I bought a bag of this slightly overpriced popcorn last week on a whim and have been dreaming about kettle corn ever since. We stepped in line just as they were dishing up a fresh batch and it was oh so good! 

I'm so happy that it's that time of year again when there's a fun festival or outdoor event happening every weekend (if not every evening!). Richmond is such a fun city to explore in the spring and summer and I'm looking forward to spending some more time exploring our favorite spots!





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe