5 Books to Read (and then re-read)

Monday, May 11, 2015


I only buy books that I've already read and loved. For as long as I can remember that has been my rule, only broken a few times. This is because I want the books in my home to be ones that I truly love and wouldn't mind reading again and again. The books below are exactly those kinds of books; the kind of books you're sad to finish. I've seen a quote in my Pinterest feed lately that really sums it up: "Some books you read. Some books you enjoy. But some books just swallow you up heart and soul." - Joanne Harris

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Before the fame of Unbroken, there was Seabiscuit. I can't begin to explain my love for this book. Even after re-reading it numerous times, it is still one of my all-time favorites. For awhile there, I could recite the entire first page from memory.

Favorite quote: In 1938...the year's #1 newsmaker was not FDR, Hitler, or Mussolini. Nor was it Lou Gehrig or Clark Gable. The subject of the most newspaper column inches in 1938 wasn't even a person. It was an undersized, crooked-legged racehorse named Seabiscuit.

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Marisa de los Santos has a style of writing that just makes you fall in love with words. Most of my favorite quotes come from this book. The sequel, Belong to Me, is also good but Love Walked In is up there with the best of them.

Favorite quote: Jimmy Stewart is always and indisputably the best man in the world, unless Cary Grant should happen to show up.

Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern
It's been awhile since I've read this one. Definitely time for a re-read. Alex and Rosie are two best friends from Dublin who just can't seem to get their timing right. The book is formatted in a series of letters and emails between the two of them, spanning decades. It's one of those really frustrating, but really endearing love stories.

Favorite quote: You deserve someone who loves you with every single beat of his heart, someone who thinks about you constantly, someone who spends every minute of every day just wondering what you're doing, where you are, who you're with, and if you're OK. You need someone who can help you reach your dreams and protect you from your fears. You need someone who will treat you with respect, love every part of you, especially your flaws. You should be with someone who could make you happy, really happy, dancing on air happy.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I've always been a lover of books, but it's crazy how quickly we can fall out love with reading. That is what happened my senior year of college. I was swamped with homework and projects and preferred to shut my brain off by binging on Netflix. Gone Girl was the book that cured that problem for me. I completely devoured this book. Although I think it's the kind of book that's best for a first-read when you don't know the ending yet, I would still recommend it for a re-read.

Favorite quote: Love makes you want to be a better man. But maybe love, real love, also gives you permission to just be the man you are.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I have loved this book ever since I first read it in middle school and had been reserving the name Harper for my future daughter (until Victoria Beckham stole it and it skyrocketed to one of the most popular girl names ever. #notbitter).

Favorite quote: When I pointed to him his palms slipped slightly, leaving greasy sweat streaks on the wall, and he hooked his thumbs in his belt. A strange spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate, but as I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbor's image blurred by sudden tears. "Hey, Boo," I said.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is another one of those books that I loved more for the author's choice of words than the actual story — although the story is really good, too! Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way since the book won one award (among many) for the quality of writing alone. It's technically a young adult novel, but it really is a must-read for everyone.

Favorite quote: The sky is blue today, Max, and there is a big long cloud, and it's stretched out, like a rope. At the end of it, the sun is like a yellow hole...

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love Seabiscuit! I've read and reread that story so many times that my copy is beginning to fall apart. It's always my fallback read when I haven nothing new on the shelf. Somehow, it just never gets old.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe