Book Report / 1

Monday, February 16, 2015


Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal
This was one of the best books I've read recently. If you read any from this short list, read this one. I liked it as soon as I started it and that's not something that always happens. The story is set in New Orleans in the 1960s and the characters (Ibby, Fannie, Queenie, and Doll) are so likable. The voice, the structure, the imagery.... I give it all a 10.

The Curmudgeon's Guide to Getting Ahead by Charles Murray
I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, a lot of it seemed like a repeat of the same common sense tips that you read in any online article about productivity and workplace behavior. But, on the other hand, I liked how easy it was to read. I would pick it up in the mornings over breakfast and read a few paragraphs. It was all good advice but mostly, I liked it because it was a great refresher on some grammar and writing tips. The clincher for me was when I read a grammar rule in the book that morning and then came to work and implemented that very same rule in a draft I was working on. I felt so smart. ;)

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
This was a fascinating read. I had heard the name "Tom Thumb" tossed about before, but never really knew anything about this famous duo. The historical aspect was really interesting, but the story was equally captivating. Their wedding, which took place during the height of the Civil War, was the only event of the time that knocked all news of the war off the front page of the newspaper. Also, Lincoln invited them to the White House for their honeymoon. I love cool details like that. Definitely a good one!

Not pictured: Our book club pick for this month Where'd You Go, Bernadette?. We'll be discussing that one later this month on Amp & Abi.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I am almost 3/4 done Bernadette's book!! It is SO good! I don't want to put it down when I'm falling asleep at night haha

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe