Learning to Crochet

Monday, January 26, 2015


Sometime in early November last year, I got the crazy idea to teach myself how to crochet. I was having dreamy thoughts of snowy winter days, Christmas baking, and the gentle repetitiveness of weaving skeins of yarn with a crochet hook.

I made a special trip to Hobby Lobby to pick out a yellow skein of yarn and a red crochet hook. I spent that evening squinting angrily at my loose chains while watching YouTube video after YouTube video.

The simple act of chaining came back to me quickly. I remembered my grandmother teaching me how when I was little. I didn't know how to do anything other than twist and pull the yarn to create a long chain, but I remember being oh so proud of that chain of yarn. Heaven help the person who unraveled it.

Proud of myself for actually remembering something, I found another video that taught me how to make my first row of stitches. I ended up with a small curling bit of stitched yarn. It looked hideous. But I kept going. And after staying up way too late that night, I finally had something that resembled a crochet project.


Once I learned more stitches than the basic single stitch, things started to move faster. I whipped out a scarf, then another, then another, and another after that. (I'm set on chunky yarn scarves for the next 10 winters).

After seeing photos of knit blankets all over Pinterest, I decided to try my hand at something bigger than a scarf. I initially started with Premier Mega Tweed Super Bulky yarn, but I made a rookie mistake and only bought 3 skeins. Ha! I whipped those skeins together that evening and quickly realized it was going to take a whole lot more yarn to finish this project. That's when my brain started calculating numbers and price tags and I saw lots of $$$ floating in my mind. Who knew crafts were so darn expensive?? To make matters worse, the yarn was discontinued until the end of February. I spent several nights pouting over my sad little foot-long blanket before starting over with a different yarn. It wasn't quite as soft and chunky as the other, but it turned out a lot better than I expected. Of course, it ended up with a whole lot of mistakes (Seriously though, how do you hide the strings when you finish?!) but I was super proud of it because GOSH DARN IT I MADE SOMETHING.


It's safe to say that the yarn bug has bit me good after finishing this project. My heart skips a little beat when I happen upon a decent yarn sale and I've been a project-pinning fiend over on Pinterest.

Next up: learning how to knit!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. So fun! I've been wanting to learn how to crochet or knit, and this post might have been the push I needed to finally just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it! I love that I can sit down in the evenings and binge-watch Netflix without feeling guilty, because when I get up I've magically produced two scarves!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'll teach you how to knit if you teach me how to crochet :D

    I fully agree it's unreal how much the cost of yarn (that you'd actually WANT to use) is. I taught myself how to knit watching youTube videos, and I too have a ridiculous amount of scarves. I've started putting them in peoples birthday presents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTube videos are a saving grace when you're trying to learn anything, amiright? Any suggestions for an easy beginner knit project?

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe