Gettin' Cozy

Thursday, December 11, 2014


Most people who know me know that I am always cold. You don't have to make ridiculous comments about "Cold hands just mean you have a warm heart." I've heard it all before and it has gotten a little old. Some people get excited about the fall and winter seasons: boots! bonfires! snow! ice skating! All I think is: cold. From October to May, I am in a constant state of chill from my feet to my nose. I'm not saying this to throw a pity party. Believe me, I've learned to live with it. It gets cold every year whether I like it or not, so unless we're going to pack our bags and move to South Miami sometime soon, I'll continue to deal with it.

I have, however, picked up a few things that make the "dealing" part a little more enjoyable. If you're a coldblooded person like me, these tips are for you:


Warm drinks. Tea, coffee, hot water; it doesn't matter. You don't even have to drink it! Just cradle that warm mug between your hands and feel the warmth sink into your bones. I have never been a coffee drinker, but I always wish I was when cold weather arrives. Over the years, though, I have discovered a few favorite stand-ins for coffee. Right now, my go-to drink is a caramel apple spice from Starbucks or hot chocolate in my new Tiny Prints mug.

Blankets, blankets, blankets. I've learned to keep blankets in almost every room in the house (except the bathroom. That would just be weird.) Not only do blankets look cute tossed over the back of an arm chair or across the foot of your bed, they are very handy to have around when you're trying to read a book or look at Instagram without shivering!

Candles. They just make a room feel warm. The cozy act of lighting a candle and then curling up with those blankets I mentioned above will warm you all over. If you haven't already, make sure you get a wooden wick candle. You get the warmth and scent of a typical candle with the added sound effects of an actual fire!

House slippers. I got a pair from Urban Outfitters a few years ago for Christmas and they always get pulled out when the weather turns cold. (They're sold out of the kind I have, but here's a cute alternative). It beats stomping around the house in shoes, but is so much cozier than just socked feet.

A big sweater. It's the modern-day house coat, but so much more stylish. An over-sized sweater is a life saver on those chilly mornings when I first roll out of bed, plus it can give you that "pulled together" look when you're in your pj's by 5pm.

These are just a few of my tips. What do you do to keep warm in the cold winter months?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hahaha, such a perfect post :) Too few people understand the discomfort of being cold ALL THE TIME. Great list...I always have hot tea at hand and my trusty house sweater. It makes me look like a little grizzly bear, brown and fuzzy. Don't know what I'd do without it. And space heaters. I pretty much carry this little one around with me haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space heaters! Genius. I need to bring one to work with me.

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe