What I'm Reading, Vol. Twenty-Eight

Thursday, November 06, 2014


Marketing Authenticity: When Branding Gets Personal (via The Everygirl)
Authenticity doesn't mean airing out all your dirty laundry, but it does mean really and truly living in your own skin. Your skin has bruises. It has imperfections. There are parts of it that you probably don't like and you might be worried that other people might not like them either. Authenticity isn't perfect or safe, but it is REAL. There is intrinsic value in who you really are, not who you want to be, or wish you were, but who you really are and how you really feel. The real you is where passion happens. It's where progress happens. It's where compassion and truth and adventure happen.

'Dating' vs. 'Married': How Text Messages Change Over Time (via The Atlantic)
In October of 2009, Alice Zhao's boyfriend gave her a gift to celebrate the one-year anniversary of their first date: a Word document containing all of the text messages they'd exchanged through the precious year. He called his present, awesomely, #thegiftofdata. This October, to commemorate their sixth year together, Zhao took that Word doc and expanded on it. She took the texts from their first year together and then compared them to another set of data she'd gathered: texts from their sixth year -- a year that saw the two transitioning from engaged to newlywed. What Zhao found was, if not scientifically rigorous, then romantically revealing.

Finish That Book! (via The Atlantic)
I finish every single novel I start. If I happen upon the first line of a 1,000-page novel, I of course don't feel compelled to read to the end. But as a matter of personal policy, when I decide I'm going to read a novel, I read the whole thing. I don't wish for those hours of my life back, because they built up my ability to endure intellectual anguish -- something I need in my job as an editor. This essay is terrible, I think to myself, but I got through Atonement. I can get through anything. Readers in other professions will reap the benefits of finishing, as well. A waiter, for instance, might think: Serving this table of European teenagers, who probably don't understand the concept of tipping, is terrible, but I got through Atonement. I can get through anything.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe