Read: Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Monday, October 20, 2014


I've always had this rule to not buy books that I haven't read already. Instead, I check books out from the library and if I really really like it, I'll then go to a bookstore and buy it. It seems a little backwards, I know, but I consider it the same concept as trying on clothes before you take them home. Why lay down good money for something you aren't sure you are going to enjoy yet?

I have broken this rule of mine twice now. Both times at an airport bookstore. There's just something about those neat rows of books lined up and plenty of time to kill before boarding. The first time I broke my rule was a few years ago when Mark and I were still dating. I was waiting for a flight to Atlanta and picked up the first book in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I was happily surprised with my luck of buying a book without reading it first and ended up tearing through the next two books in the series!

Fast-forward a few years to 2014 and you'll arrive at the date when I broke my rule again -- in another airport bookstore. This time I picked up Where'd You Go, Bernadette?. I had an hour to read before the plane arrived and I was halfway through the book by the time we boarded. It is really good! I'm starting to think there's something going on with airports and good books.

This book was not at all what I was expecting it to be. I had heard it was really good, but I also knew it had something to with a mother having a nervous breakdown. I was picturing a depressed housewife and a sad story-line. Oh, was I wrong! Bernadette is a very colorful character and the writing structure keeps things interesting. It's kind of similar to Love, Rosie in that respect (another one of my favorite books).

In an attempt to not give too much away, I will just say that this book involves a trip to Antarctica penguins, Microsoft, cool architecture, and the Russian mafia. Now if that doesn't make you want to go read it, I don't know what will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was September's read in my 2014 Reads Challenge (reading one book per month). For more 2014 Reads reviews, click here.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. YES YES YES! Such a good book. The cover really pulled me in (I'm a sucker for good graphic design), but MAN the story was just so crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe