5 tips to improve your writing

Monday, October 27, 2014


I've been looking for ways to improve my writing lately. I feel as though I'm stuck in a rut with the way I write for this blog and for work projects. In college, there was always an editor to review my work and suggest revisions and edits. Now, it's up to me to find ways to improve and exercise my writing skills. No one is forcing me and there's not a homework deadline, but I want to. Isn't it funny how that works? So, in an effort to stretch myself as a writer, I've been trying a few different tips & tricks each week.  There have been so many good ones, I thought I would share. How sweet of me. I'm sure many people will just skip over this post -- grammar, ick! But I also know that there are people in this world who, like me, get excited over oxford comma debates and unique adjectives. So, here we go: five little tips to improve your writing this week.

Try this exercise: At the beginning of every day pick two or three words you want to use that day. Write them on post-it's and stick them on the wall in front of you, and find a way to use them in your writing that day. (via Forbes)

Read this article: The Most Annoying Writing Errors (and How to Avoid Them)

Use this new word: voluble (VOL-yuh-buhl) adjective: speaking incessantly or fluently

Learn this grammar rule: Continual typically means happening frequently with intervals in between. (The bus service has been disrupted with continual breakdowns.) Continuous refers to space, as well as time. (The development forms a continuous line along the coast.) (via Oxford Dictionaries)

Listen to this advice: Write down what you do know, build a skeleton that you can add to, and then research the rest later. Don't let a lack of immediate knowledge stop you. (via Forbes)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe