Some thoughts on blogging

Thursday, September 25, 2014


I've been thinking a lot about blogging these last few weeks and how it ebbs and flows and evolves. Not so much the industry, although it has evolved a ton in the last few years, but more so how our own approach to blogging changes over time. I know my approach has changed a lot since I first started.

I only started blogging on a consistent schedule for the first time this year. I planned posts out a week, two weeks, and at one point a month in advance and, if I'm being completely honest, I enjoyed blogging the most while I was doing that. Maybe it's the organization freak inside of me, but I loved the consistency and planning aspect of it. Then things got busy (as usual) and I slacked off. Eventually, I was going weeks without posting. I felt bad about it and tried to spend time writing posts that I could schedule out in advance, but we all know that forcing yourself to blog never turns out well. I gave myself permission to let the blog sit for a few weeks and it has felt really good. It's funny how we get ourselves worked up about things that "we have to do" when, in reality, those things were just for our enjoyment in the first place. We silly humans are pros at turning the fun things into duties and burdens and forgetting why we started doing them in the first place.

I've eased off on posting every day (although I would love to get back to it) and have just been aiming for 2-3 posts per week. I'm not supporting a business with this blog and I don't have a large pool of readers who are anxiously waiting for my next post. It's simply something that I love to do and I find it more fun when I can do it consistently. I've noticed a big shift in some of the other blogs I follow as well recently. This month, two really great bloggers that I enjoyed following online said goodbye to their blogs and readers. Their reasons for quitting their blogs were completely different, but it struck me how blogging evolves so differently for each one of us.

Elise wrote down some of her thoughts on blogging recently and they really struck a chord with me. Here's what she had to say:

"My blog is an old friend that I've known since college who I decided to go into business with. We've both grown a lot over the past nine years. Our relationship isn't new. Its lost its spontaneity (for sure), but (at least for me) it has not lost its spark. It's more polished (duh) but also feel comfortable. I like who I am with this blog. I like who this blog is with me."

When you think of blogging as a relationship, it makes total sense. Relationships change over time. Sometimes they get better and sometimes we drift apart. It's really interesting to me how my relationship with blogging has changed over time. It has definitely been a big learning experience and, although, I really have no idea where it will go in the future I'm looking forward to continuing this experience/experiment.

Have you noticed a change in how you blog? And please tell me I'm not the only one who has noticed blogs shutting down left and right lately. What's going on? 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean! Blogging's become too much of a chore lately so I'm taking a little break. I also struggle with perfectionism and being ok with using my blog for me instead of caring about what it looks like to others. So maybe a little time will help me refocus and figure out exactly what I want my blog to be. But no matter how often you blog, I always love your posts! Such a bright part of my days:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet! I have stepped away from this blog quite a few times in the past and probably will again in the future. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sometimes taking a break is exactly what you need to get the creative juices flowing again!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe