Taking back my time

Wednesday, August 20, 2014


I have always been a firm believer that the dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc. could wait until tomorrow. I am not opposed to sitting down after a long day of work and spending my evening binge-watching Netflix, reading through every post in my Bloglovin' feed and flipping through Instagram. Sometimes you just need to turn your mind off for a little while and that was the way I did it. But gradually, without me realizing it, these pastimes have become a big part of my schedule. I've started to feel like I have to do these things. Not in a dreading it kind of way -- I still enjoy them -- but I've found myself thinking "I have to watch the next episode of Friday Night Lights tonight because we'll be gone this weekend and I won't have a chance." or "I have to sit down and read these blogs because my Bloglovin' feed is filling up and I'll fall behind and I'll lose all my inspiration for blogging." These relaxing little pastimes of mine suddenly become "have-to's". And do you know what happens when you let things that aren't important become important? You run out of time. There was no time to do the dishes, no time to fold the laundry, no time to vacuum the floors, no time to cook dinner, no time to spend with Mark, no time to read my Bible. I had all these things that I had to do and no time to do them all.  It took stepping away from my computer, iPhone, and a reliable WiFi connection for four days for me to realize this.

I'm working really hard now to keep things in order and to keep the pastimes in their place. I may be missing a lot of things on Instagram and the number of unread posts in my Bloglovin' feed may be reaching an unheard of number, but those aren't things that truly matter. I don't lay my head on my pillow at night, satisfied that I've looked at every picture on Instagram, read every post in blogland and watched all the latest episodes of a show. No, I lay my head down at night, satisfied that I have checked meaningful things off my list that day, that I have had quiet moments throughout the day or that I have had really great conversations with my husband and even that I've finally folded that enormous basket of laundry. Those are the things that make up my life and bring satisfaction at the end of the day.

And, lest I give the wrong impression, I'm still reading blogs and browsing Instagram and watching Netflix. I'm just doing it in the right order now.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I really appreciate this post! The past weekend also helped me prioritize my life. I love posting to my blog, but I've considered doing two posts a week through the school year for a couple of reasons: so it won't consume my life, so I have time for school, and so I have time to do some personal, just-for-me writing. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I've loved posting every day, but it is very time-consuming to keep up. It has taken me awhile, but I'm slowly learning that the world won't end if I don't post every single day! ;)

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe