Local Guide: Richmond, VA

Wednesday, August 27, 2014


I always said I didn't want to live in Richmond after I got married. I became disenchanted with this city during college and was ready to move as soon as possible. Mark is from Atlanta and I've always had a soft spot for Georgia, so that was on the top of our list as a destination.

You know what they say about the best laid plans, though.

We decided to get married during my last year of college rather than waiting another year, so instead of me moving to Georgia, Mark packed his bags and moved to Richmond. We started married life off in a tiny little apartment with barely any furniture to call our own. The thought was that it was all just temporary. I still had moving on the brain that entire semester. As soon as I graduated, though, I was promoted to a full-time position at my job and we moved into a larger place in the West End of Richmond. Without really meaning to, we suddenly became official Richmond residents.

Since our move in December, Richmond has nudged its way back into our good graces. For me, moving away from the college side of town and having an actual driveway has made a huge difference. I loved our small apartment in the Fan, but parallel parking can lose its charm really fast! I wasn't really familiar with the West End until we moved here, but I've come to love its old houses and shady tree-lined neighborhoods. The best thing about where we live now is that we're not smack dab in the middle of the city anymore, but we're still close to a lot of things. I started to write a post about my favorite things about Richmond, but it quickly exploded into a super long post. So I've broken it up into a series of posts that I'm excited to share over these next few weeks.

If you write a post about your own city (or have in the past), I'd love it if you shared a link to it in the comments. I get most of my travel recommendations from other people's blogs, so I'd love to read about your city and why you chose to live there!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe