What I'm Reading, Vol. Twenty-One

Thursday, July 31, 2014


I'm slightly embarrassed at how terrible my writing was when I started blogging over 5 years ago. But as the years passed and my reasons for blogging and expertise grew, I found my voice and learned how to write better and better. Not because I was forced, but because practice made it better. Writing is communication so the better we can communicate the better our relationships, life and message will be. Writing is also a valuable asset for future endeavors like writing a book, letters and public speaking.



It's not too much of an exaggeration to call autocorrect the overlooked underwriter of our era of mobile prolixity. Without it, we wouldn't be able to compose windy love letters from stadium bleachers, write novels on subway commutes, or dash off breakup texts while in line at the post office. Without it, we probably couldn't even have phones that look anything like the ingots we tickle -- the whole notion of touchscreen typing, where our podgy physical fingers are expected to land with precision on tiny virtual keys, is viable only when we have some serious software to tidy up after us. Because we know autocorrect is there as brace and cushion, we're free to write with increased abandon, at times and in places where writing would otherwise be impossible. Thanks to autocorrect, the gap between whim and word is narrower than it's ever been, and our world is awash in easily rendered thought.



What It Means To Be Part Of The Facebook Generation (via Thought Catalog)
For the children born post Facebook they will literally have terabytes upon terabytes of their lives entirely online. From their first steps until their last breaths (as long as Facebook remains in existence) we are looking at life from an entirely digitally recorded perspective. We are entering a time of complete removal of uncertainty of the past. Where my family and I argue over dates, and times, and locations of past events, now there is concrete digital evidence of any event we deem significant enough to tag ourselves in. Whether it's a trip to Disneyworld, a visit from Santa Claus, or even their first day of Harvard where they can go on to make a program even better than Facebook, the point is it will all be unequivocally laid out from beginning to middle to end with digital lucidity. Unlike my freshman year of college.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's amazing what technology, for better or for worse, is doing to us and those around us. It reminds me of a documentary I recently watched called Connected (free on Netflix). It talks about our desire to connect and how technology can help or be a terrible crutch. I highly recommend it! And good for you for taking some time off to let your blog posts "bake" (read that in your other post). Thanks for featuring my 10 reasons! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I loved your post.

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe