2014 Reads recap

Tuesday, June 24, 2014


I'm still chugging along with my goal to read one book a month throughout 2014. Sometimes it's been hard, but I'm sticking to it because I think it is ridiculous that reading one book a month is hard for me. I love books! This shouldn't be such a difficult task, but so many things (like Instagram and movies) suck up the time I could be spending reading a book. It has made me more self-aware and I'd like to think that I've made a little progress with reaching for a book instead of the laptop, but I'm still working on it. I haven't done a good job at reviewing the books on the blog. Some of them have been clunkers and I've had a hard time getting through them, but some of them have been really, really good! Here's the breakdown so far:

Nashville Chrome by Rick Bass -- didn't finish it, but enjoyed the history aspect
King of Cuba by Christina Garcia -- I grew bored with the story line and quit reading
Trouve magazine -- technically it's not a book, but I'm counting it anyway. I loved it! I wrote more about
it here.
Wild by Cheryl Strayed -- loved it and highly recommend

I've just started We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I've heard good things about it and, so far, I really like it. Dark Places and Dreaming In Cuban are also on the list, although I am a little leery about reading Dark Places. Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects freaked me out, but Gone Girl was awesome so I'm a little torn.

If you've read any good books lately, let me know! My current list of books to read is enormous but I'm fine with adding on a few more.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I recently read The Fault in Our Stars and was impressed. Right now, I'm reading Beautiful Ruins--good so far! And I just picked up two beach reads: The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri and Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard The Lowland is good! Let me know how you like it. You'll love Wild...I tore through that book so fast!

      Delete
  2. I recently read the Goldfinch, it was dark but good. Some of my favorites include The Interestings, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Rules of Civility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention The Interestings because I just picked it off the shelf last night in Target. I need a good beach read for next week! Thanks for the recommendations.

      Delete
  3. I loved Wild too! Some of my recent favorites have been Little Bee by Chris Cleave and The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult...

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe