A day in the life

Wednesday, May 28, 2014


Just a little glimpse into my everyday life. 

7:00am - 8:00am Struggle to wake up, because I am so not a morning person. This morning was even worse, because I could hear the rain pouring outside my window and just wanted to snuggle back under the covers.

8:00am - 8:50am Putter around the house, half-awake, getting dressed. I bring in the porch cushions so they don't get drenched in the rain and then eat breakfast. Honey Bunches of Oats, e'er day.


9:00am - 10:00am Arrive at the office. Chat with coworkers. Open the windows because the rain has made the building super muggy. Check e-mails. Read some morning tweets and check the headlines.

10:00am - 11:00am Meet with the team to go over project updates. Create a new to-do list for the coming week. Respond to tweets for a client.

The office I work in has a very open floor-plan since at any given time all or most of us are collaborating on projects together. Because of this, it's difficult to share photos of just "my" workspace. 

11:00am - 1:00pm This part of my day is filled with all things social media. I manage around 30 different social media accounts each day. I schedule posts on Facebook, respond to Twitter mentions and messages, post on LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest for a wide variety of clients. This is one of my favorite things about my job. Our clients are from many different industries and each one is so different from the next, so obviously each one needs their own "voice" on social media. Figuring out that voice is both challenging and a lot of fun.

1:00pm - 2:00pm Lunch break! Lately I've been having bouts of eye strain so I'm trying to be better about stepping away from my computer throughout the day. Leaving the office for lunch has helped a lot. When I eat at my desk, I get sucked into Facebook and blog reading and never really give my eyes a break.

2:00pm - 3:00pm Edit content for a client's website. Sometimes I'll meet with the client to get an idea of the tone they're looking for and then write the content from scratch. Today, though, I'm just tightening up some content that a client has written themselves. Later I will load this into their website and send it back to them to review. I also begin working on several blog posts for the week. In addition to this blog, I manage two other professional blogs for clients. I usually always have at least one or two posts in the works and keep a folder of ideas for each client so I don't get writer's block.

3:00pm - 5:00pm Circle back to social media. Social media is a platform that never shuts down. Fans expect their comments and tweets to be addressed right away. I try to respond to any comments, messages or mentions around 5pm so I won't need to do it again for a few hours. Finish off the day by editing my to-do list and prepping it for tomorrow. List-lovers gonna make lists. (I totally just made that up, but it has a nice ring to it, yeah?)

5:00 - 10:00pm Drive home, drop my bag and pull on some exercise pants and tennis shoes. Walking won't happen if I don't do it as soon as I get home. Afterwards, I cook dinner and hang out on the porch with Mark until it gets dark. We'll usually watch a movie or sit with our laptops before heading to bed.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe