House Tour :: Our Porch

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I'm so excited to finally share these pictures of our porch. If I was a "good DIY blogger" I would have some fun tutorials to share since everything was handmade. The truth, though, is that Mark made it all and I doubt I'll be getting him to blog any time soon. So, instead I'll just share photos of his awesome handy-work and pinch myself for marrying such a crafty husband.

We started searching Craigslist for some porch furniture earlier this spring and were instantly disappointed. Most of it was either ugly or way out of our price range. So Mark started sketching and within a few hours, he had a plan for building the furniture himself. One rainy Sunday later and we had a frame! I scored the seat cushions from Target's patio section during a sale and talked my sister into sewing some throw pillows for us. It's awesome having so many crafty people around. Maybe one day some of it will rub off on me.

The huge jute rug is one of my favorite things about the porch. We found it at a local thrift store and it was just what we needed to cover the poorly painted porch floor. It is tough enough to survive the weather outdoors, but not too rough to walk on. The pallet table was another one of Mark's creations. One of these days I'll get around to putting another coat of paint on it (yeah right) but in the meantime it's doing a great job holding our plants.

The ampersand marquee light is just another example of how my husband never ceases to amaze me. (I realize this is turning into a "brag about Mark" post, but that's ok...he deserves it :) I kept toying with the idea of hanging a large ampersand on the wall, but Mark took it to the next level when he turned it into a marquee light. It's so fun to turn on in the evenings.


We've literally been spending all of our mornings and evenings out here. I may have fallen asleep out there a few times. It usually gets direct sunlight in the morning while I'm eating breakfast before work and, in the evenings, it's shady enough to keep down on heat. It's becoming one of the most-used rooms in the house. Wait, is a porch considered a room? 

A few other things:
Jute rug: Class and Trash
End table: made by Mark (get a load of those rebar hairpin legs!)
Throw pillow forms and fabric: UFab
Red throw pillow: good ole Wal-Mart
Welcome mat: Target

Plants & flowers:
Boston ferns 
Marigolds
Creepin' Jenny (how awesome is that name!)
Random-purple-flowers-from-our-backyard-that-we-shoved-in-a-pot 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe