What I'm Reading, Vol. Fifteen

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

(This article struck a chord with me. After Mark and I got married, I had several people ask how married life was treating me. When I would reply all positive and happy, I would get this response: "Oh, you just wait." It was like there was some impending doom coming that I wasn't aware of. Sure, I get that the newly-wed bliss  might wear off after awhile, but it's not that bad. Did you ever get this reaction before or after you got married?)

When the reality of marriage started sinking in, I wrote an article describing my sentiments on why I chose to get engaged at an early age. I honestly said that I got engaged at a young age because I was in love, and love for me is greater than timing, how much money I have, and other jaded opinions on marriage in our culture. People said I wasn't ready. They said I was too young. They said I was idiotic for getting engaged without a job, and that I should start preparing for a divorce soon. This disturbed me of course, but one response bothered me even more. Multiple people said this when they commented on my future: Just wait until marriage.  They said this as if I'm going to cross the line into marriage and instantly be dissatisfied. After hearing what people had to say about marriage and love, I realized something: The reason for high divorce rates is not because people are too young, don't have money, or aren't smart; it's because too many people have the wrong idea of love.


The Pathetic State of the American Lunch Hour
The American lunch break is broken. So finds a new survey from staffing company OfficeTeam, showing that 48 percent of employees say they spend less than 30 minutes on a lunch break. A full 9 percent say they take no break at all, and 29 percent of employees say they work during whatever lunch break they do take. That many employees would opt to shovel food down their gullets while working through the day probably doesn't come as a surprise in the era of the always-on company. But it should pique your concern.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Both super interesting reads! I didn't get hassled about marriage too much--we had been dating two years, went through a deployment, and I think people were thinking it was just about time! However, I think marriage is very different than dating, and it certainly takes extra effort to keep things exciting. I just think it's harder for some people than others. And as for lunch breaks--I took maybe a total of 10 in my two years in my last job! Craziness!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe