Hindsight (Journal Day #3)

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"They say hindsight is 20/20, and with good reason - looking back at something always gives us a better view. We're often able to really see how our choices and decisions then shaped our today, and examine what we would have done differently given the chance. When looking back though, we often look way back, but for this exercise stay a little closer to present time and look back just 12 months. If you could go back just one year, what would you tell yourself? What advice would you offer about everything you've experienced?"


I'm excited about this post for several reasons. First, because it's my first time participating in Sometimes Sweet's Journal Days (even though I'm a little behind). Second, because it was fun to look back a year ago and see how things have turned out. I  read some old blog posts and journal entries I had written in March of last year. I was counting down the days until our wedding then (there were 70 something days left). I was beyond excited, but I was also nervous. They say your wedding is the best day of your life, or something like that. That period of being engaged, shopping for wedding dresses, flowers and rings is one of the most exciting moments of life. So what was going to happen when it was all over?

I would be married to the guy I love. Duh.

No, but really, a part of me couldn't help but worry that after all the excitement of wedding planning, the "after" part would be kind of a let-down.

If I could go back to March 2013 and tell my then-self something, it would be: You're absolutely crazy. Because the actual being married part far exceeds and supersedes the whole wedding planning part. I think it might even exceed the actual wedding itself. Sure, I loved my wedding day but the days following it have been awesome in a completely different way. Our wedding was an event. What we're living now is actual real life. And it's pretty doggone awesome.

Yes, I said doggone.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love going back and reading old journal entries. You are so right about weddings! The best part of life is just being together every day. Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe