Read: Sharp Objects

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

It was hard to read this book without comparing it to Gillian Flynn's other book, Gone Girl. They're similar in a way, but also completely different. Gone Girl kept me glued from start to finish with so many unexpected twists and turns. Sharp Objects started off much slower. I had a hard time staying interested at first. When things start happening, though, it all happened fast and towards the end of the book, so when I finished it I just sat there, blinking and stunned.

The story is a little dark. Camille, a reporter living in Chicago, returns to her hometown to write about the murders of two little girls. While she's in town, she stays with her mother, step-father, and half-sister -- none of whom she gets along with very well. As the story progresses, you begin to understand why she doesn't get along with her family. The mother's annoying, the half-sister's a brat and the step-father is a little creepy. But you also learn that Camille isn't an angel herself. A lot more things come to light as the town searches for the serial killer.

In the end, I'm not sure I would recommend this one. It kind of freaked me out and left me thinking "These people are crazy!". Gone Girl left me thinking the same thing, but in a different way. One thing you can count on with Gillian Flynn's books is that you can never predict how they're going to end. You may think you know, but there's always these little twists that you weren't expecting and at the very end the most unexpected twist of all.

Have you read this book? What were your thoughts on it? I'd like to hear.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Both this one and Gone Girl are on my list, and after your post I guess I'll go with Gone Girl first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just borrowed Gone Girl from my best friend, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you pick it up, you won't put it down!

      Delete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe