Weekend trips are the best

Monday, November 04, 2013

 Mark and I took a quick trip to Alexandria, Va. this past weekend. We've taken several trips to the DC area before and almost every time we pass the King Street metro stop I say something about visiting Old Town Alexandria one day. This weekend we finally did!

We left Friday after I got off work, grabbed some food to eat on the road and hit the interstate. Traffic was on our side and we made it to the city in great time. Usually we catch the metro but this time we decided to take the car (even though the cost of parking at our hotel was ridiculous). It ended up working out perfectly, though, because by some stroke of luck we were the hotel's Guest of the Day (yes, there's such a thing) and one of the perks was free parking. Score!

Saturday had to have been one of the most beautiful days we've had this fall. Thanks to another Guest of the Day perk, we got to enjoy an enormous breakfast before walking it off on King Street. We checked out some of the shops, strolled through the Old Town Farmer's Market and watched the sailboats go by on the Potomac. Despite my best intentions to find Christmas presents for everyone, I left empty-handed. I'm the world's worst procrastinator when it comes to buying Christmas presents, so I thought I'd start early this year. No luck, yet but still have time, right? It ended up being the perfect way to spend a weekend. Sometimes just getting out of Dodge, even for a day, is all you need.

P.S. I'm liking this whole time change thing so far. I'd been having a tough time getting up in the mornings when it was so dark outside, but this morning the sun was streaming through my window when I woke up. Yay for an extra hour! I probably won't be so excited about it when it's dark as I'm leaving work, but oh well. I'll take what I can get.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe