What I'm Reading - Vol. One

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

  
image source unknown
I've come across so many well-written, well-thought-out articles this past week. I thought I'd share them here in one post. Who knows, maybe this can become a weekly thing.
-------------------------------

The Marathon. This is absolutely beautiful. And sad. And unifying. All at the same time.
Patriots' Day is a day for Boston. As little as 24 hours ago, it was a day that was impossible to explain, impossible to know what it meant if you didn't live there. It was a special day. Now, after two explosions went off that killed 3 and injured over 140, Patriots' Day will mean something else to the people of Massachusetts, my home. It will mean something, I'm afraid, too many of us will be able to understand.

- Long-Distance Relationships Mean Always Getting to Say Hello. Found via Freckled Italian.
We've said hello in driveways, bus stations, and airports, in parking lots and on street corners. Long distance relationships mean always getting to say hello.


How dropping out of college can save your life.
Why am I killing myself over this?, I thought. It's just life. Suddenly, a wave of calm washed over me. I was doing what young people were supposed to do: take risks. There is no need to stress over something so seriously, let alone school. I'm not going to starve. I'm not going to die. There is nothing that cannot be undone. Just relax. Relax. And I did. And it worked. 


-Handwritten Notes Are a Rare Commodity. They're Also More Important Than Ever.
"The beauty of a well-crafted handwritten note is that it can show deeper investment and appreciation than a simple thank-you can. They cost something, mean something, and have permanence in a way emails and text messages don't. They let the people in our lives know we appreciate them enough to do something as archaic as pausing for 15 minutes to put pen to paper in an attempt to connect and sustain a relationship with them."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe