remembering jones

Friday, April 26, 2013


George Jones died today in Nashville. I grew up listening to George Jones songs. As a lover of old country, I still listen to his tunes on the record player every once in awhile. I remember learning how to play songs like "Tennessee Whiskey" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today" on the piano out of an old Country Favorites piano book when I was little.
Strangely enough, the song "He Stopped Loving Her Today" has been stuck in my head for the past week. I found myself singing it in the car on the way to work the other day. I couldn't remember all the words so I may have embellished here and there. I read today that within a few hours of his death, the Spotify and YouTube tracking numbers for that particular song spiked like crazy. It does seem fitting, you have to admit.

"They placed a wreath upon his door and soon they'll carry him away. He stopped loving her today."


"Golden Ring" though is my favorite George Jones song and maybe even my favorite country music song altogether. Turn it up really loud and listen. Even if you don't like country music you've got to admit that George & Tammy were one awesome harmonizing pair.

By the way, that crazy flat-top haircut of his gets me every time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe