slow blogging

Thursday, December 27, 2012

I saw the term "slow blogging" over on Sometimes Sweet the other day and began to check it out. That term has been showing up all over the blogosphere lately. I started reading more about it and realized that the idea isn't a new one. In fact, Todd Sieling, a Canadian software designer, wrote The Slow Blogging Manifesto back in 2006. He said, "Slow blogging is the rejection of immediacy. It is the affirmation that not all things worth reading are written quickly, and that many thoughts are best served after being fully baked and worded in even temperament."

Common sense, right?

Then how come it's so easy and so tempting to throw a pretty picture up on this blog, slap a line or two beneath it, and hit the publish button? This idea of producing results and producing them fast is everywhere. Erin Loechner, the author of Design for Mankind, put it this way: "We live in a world of Pinterest, where visual images shoot out like firehoses of pretty." This bombardment of "pretty" explodes across our computer screens. It takes up our time and gives us no results. "I want to return to the days when I didn't feel the need to 'keep up' with the Internet," Erin says.

Enter slow blogging.

Blogging with intention and meaning, rather than posting for the simple purpose of posting. It's something I struggle with. But when I thought on it a little more I realized that one of my all-time favorite bloggers only posts once, maybe twice, a month. And the posts are always worth the wait. Call me crazy, but my heart gets excited when I see a new post from her pop up in my Bloglovin feed. It's obvious, too. There's thought and depth to her posts and it makes it so much more interesting and fun to read.

So for the past few weeks, I've been making an effort to slow blog. Whenever I think I'm ready to hit the Publish button, I hit the Save draft button instead. I'll wait a day or so and then return to the post. There's almost always something that I change, add, delete, or make better. Does this take the raw feeling out of blogging? Maybe.

But the majority of the time the well-thought out post is what we remember long after we've forgotten the daily blabber we read all the time. According to Kristin Nador,  "Slow blogging is putting the intentionality back into blogging by focusing on writing quality posts when you really have something to say. It gives your brain and your creativity breathing room."

You can read Erin and Kristin's full posts on slow blogging here and here.

What do you think about slow blogging? Do you practice it yourself? I have to say, there is something nice about just shutting your brain off every once in awhile and enjoying that "firehose of pretty" -- even if it is meaningless. What do you think? Tell me in the comments.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love it. I saw Erin's post last week and was like HEY I do that. Except not on purpose, ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that there is a good bit of truth to this. The posts for which I receive the most feedback and reader interest usually are the ones that I spend the most time on-- denser, creative nonfiction type blurbs with intent and a universal theme behind them.

    So, in short, I agree!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe